You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-6-2021 13:12:28  #11

Re: glass keys

BTW whats so special about Olympia plastic keys? I've not used one yet

19-6-2021 14:36:15  #12

overwood wrote:

This is not very easy to explain to someone who has never used them, as much of it has to do with the tactile experience, and of cause personal Preference.

When I refer to "Olympia keys", I always refer to the trapezoid shaped plastic keys that came on the SM2 and later machines, not the round plastic ones found on models SM1, early SM2, Elite or Mod. 8.

Olympia keytops are made of a plastic very pleasant to the touch. Smooth, warm and organic like Bakelite, and similar in appearance. Whether actually made of Bakelite or not I cannot say. They are nearly square and closely placed together, the keyboard layout is tight, making fast writing easier and missing a key very rare. Their tops are nicely ergonomically sculpted with an indentation that fits at least my fingers very well. And of cause the keys on Olympia machines are famously spring loaded or "cushioned", making writing on them for long periods very pleasant. A hard contrast to writing on glass keys for example.

Learned watchmaker and office machine enthusiast from Germany.

20-6-2021 18:22:17  #13

Interesting. Well I may get to test some of those keys this week. There's an SM9 for sale locally that nobody snatched up yet, so I may have to snatch it myself. Still trying to talk myself out of it though, since I said I was done buying typewriters weeks ago. Getting perilously close to double digits now.

Maschinengeschrieben wrote:

overwood wrote:

This is not very easy to explain to someone who has never used them, as much of it has to do with the tactile experience, and of cause personal Preference.

When I refer to "Olympia keys", I always refer to the trapezoid shaped plastic keys that came on the SM2 and later machines, not the round plastic ones found on models SM1, early SM2, Elite or Mod. 8.

Olympia keytops are made of a plastic very pleasant to the touch. Smooth, warm and organic like Bakelite, and similar in appearance. Whether actually made of Bakelite or not I cannot say. They are nearly square and closely placed together, the keyboard layout is tight, making fast writing easier and missing a key very rare. Their tops are nicely ergonomically sculpted with an indentation that fits at least my fingers very well. And of cause the keys on Olympia machines are famously spring loaded or "cushioned", making writing on them for long periods very pleasant. A hard contrast to writing on glass keys for example.

20-6-2021 18:35:07  #14

overwood wrote:

Interesting. Well I may get to test some of those keys this week. There's an SM9 for sale locally that nobody snatched up yet, so I may have to snatch it myself. Still trying to talk myself out of it though, since I said I was done buying typewriters weeks ago. Getting perilously close to double digits now.

It’s worth mentioning that while the layout and shape of the keys on the SM5, 7, 8 and 9 is the same as found on the SM2, 3 and 4, the material looks and feels different, and they are not cushioned. I would not recommend buying an SM9 just to try out the keys. For that you would be better off with a SM2, 3 or 4.

Learned watchmaker and office machine enthusiast from Germany.

20-6-2021 19:20:45  #15

Oh I wouldn't buy it just to try the plastic, I'm curious about Olympias anyway and the SM9 in particular. If it checks out OK in person I would buy it for the entire typewriter and because I know I could sell it for what they are asking if not more.

I do think the earlier ones are more attractive 

21-6-2021 06:59:39  #16

I personally like my SM7 a lot more than my SM9.  At least to me, the SM7 feels more substantial and is a faster typer for me...and its unique looks seduced me.

21-6-2021 07:03:07  #17

My SM7 from 1961.

I did repair and repaint my case.  It was a bit of a mess.

22-6-2021 16:55:21  #18

Well that sucked. I drove to where the guy works, sat outside by his car where I could see the Olympia case in the front seat, notified him before I got there as he requested and then waited 20 minutes. He never showed up, never texted and never called until after I said f*&% this and left.

22-6-2021 19:20:20  #19

I was lucky and caught my 1968 Olympia SM9 only 12 miles from my home.

Elderly woman who bought it brand new sold it to me.  She was asking $ 40...I gave double that as I did not want to feel like I took advantage of her.

Machine only needed a light cleaning, bit of oil, and a new ribbon.  The case was solid but got stained and discolored over the years and had a few cuts and tears in the vinly covering.  Rehab'd it and gave it brighter colors.

22-6-2021 19:37:18  #20

they were asking about twice what your lady was asking, but if I waste my time with them again they will be lucky to get half of that out of me! It wasn't a problem going to meet him because I was going that way anyway, but to have him stand me up completely and wait 20 minutes for nothing was BS.

I read about yours when I was researching this model. That's why I was scoping the case out closely as it sat in the car. It looked pretty nice, no scuffs or cuts so if its still available I may try one more time after I'm finished being pissed off and indignant. They don't show up around here very often at all, maybe 1 every year or two.

Board footera