You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-6-2014 06:15:41  #1

11-7-2014 11:02:02  #2

Re: Best laugh in typewriter ads

Wow!  You just can't make up comedy gold like that!

"That's that writing, that's typing" - Truman Capote

11-7-2014 19:40:31  #3

I was beginning to think it was just me, and nobody else got it.

Sincerely,
beak.

11-7-2014 23:10:56  #4

beak wrote:

nobody else got it.

I don't get it! 

Wait, maybe I do. As an owner of many Remington "riter" models I just glossed over the spelling used in the ad.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

05-10-2014 23:28:16  #5

I thought it was worthwhile to continue this thread about the nonsense we see on eBay. Someone who doesn't know better is going to get burned by the old "mention the war and jack up the price" scam used in this auction.

The guy selling this Smith-Corona claims the machine is "WWII Military Issue". The problem is that the machine is a 2Y-series Skyriter, a model that wasn't manufactured until 1949 - four years after the war ended.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

06-10-2014 21:15:24  #6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-1940S-WW2-Korean-War-US-ARMY-USGI-HERMES-TYPEWRITER-US-Military-/281386313796?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4183ee6844

I think this one is even better! At least that Skyriter was in the Etsy price range. Now, this is a different story...

Of course, just because this old Hermes (2000?) is in Korea MUST mean it came over there from the US during the war. Did I mention the QWERTZ keyboard? Yes... American indeed.

07-10-2014 04:49:49  #7

I get a superior little chuckle when I see eBay sellers who put the typewriters into their cases upside down.

07-10-2014 12:08:14  #8

JustAnotherGuy wrote:

Of course, just because this old Hermes (2000?) is in Korea MUST mean it came over there from the US during the war. Did I mention the QWERTZ keyboard? Yes... American indeed.

That is a good one. I noticed the QWERTZ keyboard too and just laughed. 

RWWGreene wrote:

I get a superior little chuckle when I see eBay sellers who put the typewriters into their cases upside down.

Those images - and you do see a surprising number of them, not just on eBay but in local ads too - make me cry. Such senseless damage all because someone chouldn't figure out a travel case, which most often could be described as idiot proof!

07-10-2014 12:13:19  #9

Here's a real gem that I just came across today:

It's the ultimate accessory for any typewriter collector, a pair of Smith-Corona "Silent Super Sterling" shoes. Funny, they don't look grey in the photo though. And what is a Silent Super Sterling? There was a Silent. There was a Silent Super. There was a Sterling. But a Silent Super Sterling? Looks like they just threw a bunch of names at the was to see what would stick!

07-10-2014 18:08:04  #10

I saw a typewriter listed one time that had an item desription that said something along the lines of "No computer equipment sold by this seller is guarenteed. Computer processing chips are known to degrade over time". And this was for a manual typewriter!

Board footera