You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

06-6-2015 09:49:40  #51

Re: Best laugh in typewriter ads

Well, no changes in the WWII typewriter listing yet.  If anyone wants a bargain skyriter, here's a craigslist deal for you... (London, Ohio, btw)

Last edited by Spazmelda (06-6-2015 09:50:10)

06-6-2015 13:07:20  #52

Hahahahaha....

07-6-2015 12:38:27  #53

Oh, here's another good one.  If you were going to list a typewriter in mint condition, do you think you'd push all the typebars back down before taking a picture?

07-6-2015 14:25:17  #54

I'd love to get half that amount for a Lettera 25!

And it's incredible how many photos of typewriters in ads that I've seen over the years that feature a clump of jammed typebars. Instant fail in my books. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

07-6-2015 15:35:51  #55

Ha, it was a clump of typebars that sealed the deal for me on the '43 Underwood.  I'd been playing with it at the antique mall and considering purchasing.  I left to continue to look around.  Came back and found a 'clump'. I said, "oh no! This will not happen again." And took it to the counter.

07-6-2015 18:39:11  #56

I see listings like this in ebay all the time.  Laugh everytime.

You can never have too many typewriters.

07-6-2015 22:13:51  #57

It's even more embarrasing when you are running a website that sells high end, refurbished typewriters! One has to wonder why the photographer couldn't unstick the keys. http://mytypewriter.com/hermesambassador.aspx

08-6-2015 05:52:20  #58

Oh dear.  That IS embarrassing.  Those typewriters are so expensive.  I found that site when I was first looking to get a manual, and I was terrified that I was going to have to pay $500- $700 for a nice typewriter.

Last edited by Spazmelda (08-6-2015 05:52:53)

08-6-2015 09:14:00  #59

JustAnotherGuy wrote:

It's even more embarrasing when you are running a website that sells high end, refurbished typewriters! One has to wonder why the photographer couldn't unstick the keys. http://mytypewriter.com/hermesambassador.aspx

I've looked at that site a few times and wondered if they ever sell anything at all at those prices.  I guess some people are wealthy enough not to care about how much things cost.   Then I wondered more; is it actually a fair price, given that the mac hine is professionally overhauled and guarenteed?  I just don't know.

Sincerely,
beak.

08-6-2015 12:10:01  #60

beak wrote:

I've looked at that site a few times and wondered if they ever sell anything at all at those prices.  I guess some people are wealthy enough not to care about how much things cost.

Definitely. I know a local vendor who has a regular customer who buys older typewriters sight unseen, for far more than they're worth. Apparently, he's a professional of some kind (dentist or lawyer) who never uses them and only buys these typewriters for display purposes.  

beak wrote:

Then I wondered more; is it actually a fair price, given that the mac hine is professionally overhauled and guarenteed?  I just don't know.

I'm not a fan of that website - for other reasons - but I think the prices are very fair. As collectors we might balk at those prices, but when you factor in the labour and time involved to properly and professionally restore a machine, you would have to be insane to sell it for any less. And when you consider the one-time buyer, a person who only wants one typewriter, is that really a lot of money for a fully functioning antique? How much do people spend on a laptop, which they regularly replace every five years or less? A $700 typewriter will last them the rest of their life, it will never be outdated, or need upgrades, and I'd venture that one day it will be worth more than what they paid for it.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

Board footera