You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-7-2021 09:48:14  #1

Tiffany Typewriter Stand

I was able to pick up a metal Tiffany typewriter stand locally for cheap. It's in good shape other than needing a re-paint which I am in the process of doing. I noticed on the underside of the top piece, where a typewriter would site, there is what appears to be a huge section of dried glue. But there is no indication of what at one time was glued to the underside. My guess is it was some kind of sound proofing material but I thought I would ask to see if I could get some more information. Any ideas?

Kurt

12-7-2021 16:18:43  #2

Re: Tiffany Typewriter Stand

I don't know what a "Tiffany" stand is, so I'd love to see a photo of what you bought. There were so many different stands made over the years, and although I only own a few, I don't recall anything being glued to the underside of them. Mine are all metal, typically with wheels, and the only soundproofing they used was those super-thick felt pads underneath the typewriter itself. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-7-2021 20:58:54  #3

This is a picture I grabbed off of ebay but mine is identical. Tiffany is the company that makes it.
The center piece is hollow but about 2 inches thick. Underneath is a bunch of dried glue.

I've been in the process of painting mine since my wife hated the original color. It will be white going forward. I have a felt pad to go on top but I'm thinking about gluing some sound foam in the empty space below the top. The glue marks look identical to the glue used to add sound foam to my Olivetti Studio 45. Thus I think this table had some at one time.

Not a bad find for $10.

Kurt

12-7-2021 21:01:01  #4

I forgot to post the picture. Here is a link to an eBay table that is identical to the one I picked up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184907157001

13-7-2021 12:19:12  #5

It looks interesting, very angular, which I assume makes it a more contemporary table (my guess would be '70s). Tables are typically an inexpensive accessory to obtain, I guess because not many people have a use for them - outside of typewriter owners - and even then I'm not sure too many collectors own one. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-7-2021 10:12:35  #6

I just happened to check one of my stands and sure enough, the underside had what looks like a dried glue on it. However, I don't think anything was ever glued to this surface; the glue-like material itself looks to me as though it was put there to give the thin sheet metal extra rigidity and as a result less of a drum skin effect when a typewriter was being used.

18-7-2021 15:15:02  #7

Thanks for checking that. Mine definitely had a big section of dried glue. I have some foam that was the right size so I glue it to the underside. I'm still waiting for the paint to dry before I test it out. The foam may not do much but I had it on hand and figured I would give it a shot. I'll post the results when I'm done.

Kurt

21-7-2021 13:44:33  #8

Finally got everything set up and tested it last night with my Studio 45. There is no 'extra' noise coming from the table itself. I have the typewriter on a felt pad and the foam under the top is in place. Overall it works great and most likely will be the new home for any work I may be doing. The proper height helps quite a bit.

Kurt

31-7-2021 18:43:36  #9

I thought of this thread when I was looking at a typewriter stand at the antique store today, remembered to look underneath, and found that particular stand did have soundproofing. It looked similar to the material that was used in 50's Smith Corona portables. None of the three typewriter stands that I own have soundproofing, but it would appear that some did. I have seen so many stands at shops over the years but never thought to look underneath.

01-3-2022 15:33:58  #10

I just picked up an identical Tiffany stand that had the same dried glue on the under panel and I am sure it had some sort of sound proofing at one time.  I cut up a yoga mat for the top to to help with sound proofing and to prevent typewriter slipping.  It had two folding leaves and one of them caused some metallic vibrations which could easily be dampened with a very small piece of yoga mat stuffed in a crevice.  Leaves folded it was 18 inches wide...over 36 inches with both leaves extended.  About 27 inches high which seems to be ideal for me.  Better than a TV tray.  Also had to tighten the few screws to add to more stability.  Of course its the ubiquitous grey/brown color of steel office furniture of the time. It is probably best to use on a carpeted surface.

EDIT: Repaired link to photo (Uwe)

Board footera