You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-1-2022 19:29:55  #11

Re: Olympia SGE 45...In-Coming

Hi George,

Is there a chance you could post up a photo of your Report De Luxe ?

The black/white 2-tone Report DL I have in mind usually have a tag on the back and at the last line on the tag, it will say "Made In Japan".  See photo, below.

There is a different Report Deluxe machine in all white and those are tagged as "Made in Western Germany".  Those are a taller machine.  Maybe this is the one you have.  If so, I think they might have common DNA with the SGE 30/40/50 line of machines.

If you do a search on eBay for "Olympia Electric Typewriter", you will see photos of the variety of these machines.

24-1-2022 20:59:29  #12

[img][/img]
[img][/img]Once I got enough light on it I found the tag on the lower area near the power cord.

24-1-2022 21:20:30  #13

Thanks, George for the photo-posting.

Your label does say "Made In Germany".  I think your dark ribbon cover is much taller than the cover on my SEP made in Japan.

I think your machine was more in common with the SGE's.  But your machine was the "vertical space" key which my SGE 35 does not have.

The key-tops with the red ink are those that will continue to strike if you hold down the key.

24-1-2022 21:33:46  #14

I have yet to find an online reference for a manual for it. It is also selling for a comparable low price on Ebay. Oh well. My collection of Olympia typewriters is slowly getting bigger. I also have an SG3 incoming that Lucas Dul had posted.

28-1-2022 21:59:58  #15

George, I was really close to springing for Lucas' SG3 as well.

I even have a lone plastic paper support...just waiting for me to snatch an SG3. 

But I want to hold out for a SG3 that has the special 1-space/2-space key-top at the upper right hand corner of the keyboard.

28-1-2022 22:22:37  #16

Hi Pete,

UPS thinks they will deliver it on Monday and I'm hoping they treated it with loving care. I wasn't sure about an Elite typeface until the idea of getting more on a page or even a line without going to the next line sounded like a plus.

I'm thinking I may have enough Olympias until a nice SG1 comes along. There is something about the crinkle finish and rounded lines that I find appealing. 

George

09-2-2022 10:56:35  #17

So here is my Olympia SGE-35 from the opening-post...all repaired with its replacement upper/carriage on the original lower/base machine.

09-2-2022 11:21:22  #18

Hi George,

If you do not have one already, try to get a test-drive on a manual SM3 or SM4.

I have a SM3 and it is one of the few machines in my collection that I can simply take for granted when I type and it can go much faster than I could ever possibly type.  I cannot remember any time where type-slugs jammed up against each other.

This was one of the first machines I got when I decided to go back to typewriters...and it spoiled me for machines to come.

09-2-2022 15:41:04  #19

Hi Pete,

That is a gorgeous SM3. My very first entry back to the world of typewriters was an SM4. I drove up to Canby, Oregon late last summer to check out typewriters at the Red Door Antiques and Resale store. All I knew about typewriters then was the USA names. They let me demo any of the models they currently had. My head was thinking Remington, Smith-Corona, and Underwood but the one I took home was the SM4. It just worked and sounded the best. Almost all of my acquisitions since then have been Olympias. So not having a lot of storage room staying with Olympia has been a good decision. I find them all nice writers, each with idiosyncrasies of their own.

George

09-2-2022 17:51:42  #20

George, that is certainly a lovely pair of Olympias, there.  Congratulations !

Board footera