You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-8-2021 13:13:44  #1

(NLR) 1962 Triumph Perfekt - Help Needed...

Wondering if an Owner of a 1960's Triumph Perfekt (the model with Tab functions) could take a photo and post it for me.

My Tab set/clear lever linkage has come loose and I would like to see one intact before I dig in and loosen up stuff to get it working.

All you need to do is push the carriage to the left side and take a photo of the right side area which I have circled in red in the attached photos.

No body panels or covers need to be removed to photo this area.

Appreciate your time in reviewing my post and possibly coming to my aid.

Last edited by Pete E. (02-8-2021 07:48:27)

01-8-2021 16:32:22  #2

Re: (NLR) 1962 Triumph Perfekt - Help Needed...

Hi Pete

I don't have a Triumph Perfekt, but I do have a Triumph Gabriele-E (S/N-1514618) which I was gifted a few years ago. Just took a look at the tabulator system on my Gabriele-E and it's quite different to your Perfekt, so can't help you there. However, I do have a question about the Triumph portables. How does one get a Triumph Gabriele-E out of its case? Thanks and all the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

01-8-2021 17:40:36  #3

Hi Sky,

1.  If I get no advice on the Tab problem I am chasing down, I will probably go in and do some trial & error.  It is obvious the round, chrome pin needs to go into the u-slotted bracket which is black in color.  Not sure if the flat spring in the photo is in the right place.  So might have to try a few adjustments and see if I can get to the bottom of it.

2.  Ted Munk had posted up his remedy to unstick the bottom case-plate from the Triumph machines.  Good write-up, here, in his article :

https://munk.org/typecast/2016/02/04/triumph-perfekt-getting-it-off-the-case-base-and-replacing-the-bad-bits/?fbclid=IwAR0kgLTUWiQdb7vCUBZ4MO90lxpo_TT74DuOjZuJgsMPTjOwBRg-hfhCF1w

Last edited by Pete E. (02-8-2021 07:07:31)

01-8-2021 23:18:36  #4

Hi Pete

Thank you for the link, Ted's trick worked Perfektly. The hold down's work on the same principle as the bilge plugs in a small boat, place the plug in the bilge drain outlet, flip the lever which pulls the center pin and expands the plug. I'm also familiar with working with those little E-clips or dammit clips as they are sometimes called. Push them part way off and they go Ping as they fly across the shop -- that's when you say Dammit!!

Now the machine is off the base, I can see it's absolutely filthy inside so will be a project for later this year. Thanks again and all the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.

02-8-2021 03:40:20  #5

Hi Pete,

Below pictures from my 1955 Perfekt.

Image 1: neutral position

Image 2: set position

Image 3: clear position

Last edited by Laurenz van Gaalen (02-8-2021 05:07:45)

02-8-2021 07:02:45  #6

Hi Lau,

THANK YOU so much for your photos.  Now my repair will have exact directions.

I am forever in your debt...my "Triumph" case-badge for this machine and now helping me to fix the machine.

02-8-2021 07:06:05  #7

Hi Sky,

Glad the article-link was helpful.  Ted Munk sure puts out such useful information for typewriter collectors and users.

I have even purchased several of his "Repair Bibles" for some machines I own.

08-8-2021 16:00:15  #8

Hi Again Pete

Was able to thank Ted Munk in person for that handy tip during the Type-Club-Live zoom meeting this morning (Sunday August 8, 2021). All the best,

Sky

08-8-2021 17:51:42  #9

Hi Sky,

That is always nice...that's the next best thing of being there in-person.

Board footera