You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

08-8-2021 10:59:04  #1

Facit TP1 - Upper/Lower Case Alignment...

Member, Dragon Typer, sent me a Message asking where the adjustment points are for the Facit TP1 portable.

Response window for a message does not seem to allow me to post up a photo-attachment, so I told our Member I would post up a photo, here.

Rather than having 2 pairs of adjustment screws/nut on the sides of the basket-segment, the TP1 has only 1 set of adjustment screws/nuts in the center of the machine.

The bottom panel needs to be removed (4 small screws only) and then tilt/rest the machine on its back and the adjustment are pretty easy to access.  See area circled in red in my photo, below.

08-8-2021 12:53:36  #2

Re: Facit TP1 - Upper/Lower Case Alignment...

This is amazing, Pete.  Thank you so much for this very helpful photo and accompanying instructions!  I shall let you know how this goes!

08-8-2021 14:12:20  #3

Dragon Typer,

I do have a Halda P.  Let me know the area you might need a photo of and I will see if it is easy to shoot without removing body panels.

08-8-2021 15:18:16  #4

Thank you, Pete, let me get back to you on this.

11-8-2021 16:35:20  #5

I adjusted the alignment on my TP1 with Pete E's photo as a guide (thanks, Pete!).  However, even with the alignment screws at their maximum set points in either direction, the uppercase letters still sit slightly higher than the lowercase ones.  To get the alignment I need, either the basket needs to go lower when typing a capital letter or the "resting" position of the basket needs to be lower for the lowercase letters.  But neither the upper nor lowercase alignment screws cannot provide the additional distance I need.  (NB: the screws still have more thread on them, and so could still be moved, but the mechanism that the basket attaches to that hits against the screws will simply stop in the air before hitting the upper case screw if I shorten that screw any further, and similarly, for the lowercase screw will simply stop before making contact with the lowercase screwhead if lengthen the lowercase screw any further.

I noticed another adjustable screw on the shift lever, on the right underhand side of the typewriter, and I am wondering if adjustment to this screw would allow for more "travel" in the shift lever and thus permit the basket to have additional range of motion.

I have attached two photos.   [I do not seem to be able to put photos in my message.]

One is a view from above looking down at the alignment screws, with carriage removed.  You can clearly see that the uppercase screw has a lot more travel direction in it, but the photo represents the set point of that uppercase screw at the point of maximal travel distance of the basket itself.

The second photo is of the right hand underside of the machine, when it is resting vertically on the back of the carriage return.  It is this screw that I hope will allow additional range of motion on the shift lever and, consequently, in the type basket itself.

Any thoughts or advice very welcome.  It's a great machine, but that tiny mis-alignment is irritating!

12-8-2021 12:30:39  #6

Photos did not show up...

12-8-2021 12:31:48  #7

I do not know how to submit photos in a message.  When I try it asks for a link rather than allowing me to insert the photo.  Any advice on this would be appreciated.  Sorry if I'm just dense.

12-8-2021 13:05:18  #8

I always post the direct link to the image instead of trying to embed the image in the thread. 
I've had problems with that here, discussed in other threads and it's just easier to grab the whole image link instead of trying to get it to show up.

Phil Forrest

12-8-2021 15:31:20  #9

There is no option for "attaching" an image in this forum. The image must be uploaded to the web somewhere, then the image URL posted in one of two ways. This will cause it to show up in the message itself (although for some unknown reason, some browsers may not see it)

1) by inserting the URL (which must end in an image format like jpg or gif or png) using the "insert image" dialog box from the message posting toolbar

2) posting the link between the following code [img]insert link here[/img]

12-8-2021 17:55:55  #10

Dragon Typer,

Do  you know the year your TP1 was made ? 

I am aware of some changes from the early machines to the later ones.

Mine is made in 1964 and does have some differences with the early machines.

Board footera