You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

27-12-2021 12:26:45  #61

Re: Crazy Happenings over on Shop Goodwill...

Looks like Hermes 3000s keep getting pushed up to $1000, with just about every auction. 
Phil Forrest

27-12-2021 14:51:19  #62

And things going for 15 bucks earlier this year are going for 100-200. Crazy. My time is now spent trying to figure out the next one to skyrocket before it takes off.  Time to stock up on Tom Thumb?

01-1-2022 12:48:18  #63

Yesterday 2 early-mid QDLs that ended 2 months ago, including the drab run of the mill one that sold for nearly 200 bucks, were auctioned off again. One of them has been listed 3 times now. Both by the same location.

Both sold for 45-50 this time, but the winner of one has a user name only two asterisks different than the one who didn't pay on the overpriced one. I bet we'll see at least one of them listed again.

01-1-2022 12:48:45  #64

early-mid 50s, that is...

15-1-2022 19:00:17  #65

I knew a guy who won a good will auction, paid for it, and it didn't show up.  When he contacted goodwill about it, they told him they put the machine up again and sold it to someone else for a higher price, then issued him a refund.  Goodwill has gone the way of the...well, it isn't good.  They're more concerned about profits and milking money lately.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

16-1-2022 14:25:52  #66

I don't know anything about Goodwill in the U.S.A., but when it existed in Canada (it went bankrupt), it was a non-profit charity. That it grossly overpaid its executives was just one of the problems that closed its doors here. I donated a lot of things over the years to Goodwill, but in its absence I'm just as happy to give things to the Salvation Army - who I know for certain do good things in the community.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

16-1-2022 18:39:45  #67

Lucas Dul wrote:

I knew a guy who won a good will auction, paid for it, and it didn't show up. When he contacted goodwill about it, they told him they put the machine up again and sold it to someone else for a higher price, then issued him a refund. Goodwill has gone the way of the...well, it isn't good. They're more concerned about profits and milking money lately.

That's the truth.
Not too long ago, I alerted Goodwill of MN to the fact they were selling a Nazi typewriter. It was an Erika 5 that had two keys with runic lightning bolts on them. I understand those can be valuable to collectors and museums, but I personally felt it was icky for a charity to be making money off of that sale. It went for almost $400.

Phil Forrest

16-1-2022 23:51:45  #68

another of their crimes is their shipping rates. I used to live 2 hours away and it was cheaper for me to buy a typewriter that was halfway across the country than to buy one from them. I won't even give their auctions a 2nd look.

20-1-2022 01:24:02  #69

Good thinking, Goodwill auctions are best left alone.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

20-1-2022 21:44:02  #70

Lucas Dul wrote:

Good thinking, Goodwill auctions are best left alone.

I've had some good luck with them and some bad. It does seem to have gotten worse, if only because the prices are up and the quality hasn't changed. Its still hit or miss, but often at twice the price.  And the new website scarcely works for me. So I'm just a lot more picky now.

Board footera