You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-11-2021 08:24:42  #1

Refurbishing An Old Sge? Am I Going In Too Deep?

Hi Folks,
Asking for advice.
A late sixties Olympia SGE has recently surfaced locally (I'm in Brazil), and this is one of the machines I've always coveted - I simply love the style, the engineering, etc.
However, it's in pretty bad shape, and I was wondering if restoring it to working order would be too much of a foolish endeavor on my part. Find the parts alone might prove to be a nightmare, and here's what I want to ask. Does anybody here know where I could find parts for such a machine? I know it would take time and money, but I'm willing to try anyways.

05-11-2021 08:41:22  #2

Re: Refurbishing An Old Sge? Am I Going In Too Deep?

By the way, when I say finding the parts of course I mean internationally.

05-11-2021 11:07:30  #3

My experience with being successful in finding needed, spare-parts...seems to be to find an entire parts machine and hope you find what  you need on that 2nd. machine for your 1st. machine.

I once ended up with three (3) Olivetti-Underwood 2 machines in my home at the same time.  3rd. machine was needed to yield the parts needed for the two other machines. 

I kept 1 machine and gave the 2nd. machine to a young boy in our neighborhood who rakes up leaves in the Fall and shovels snow in the Winter for the elderly or disabled folks in our heighborhood.  He does this for free.

He was really excited to have his first typewriter and even typed & mailed me a thank-you letter.

05-11-2021 21:41:59  #4

Yes, I know. I had to do exactly the same thing with my Selectric. The problem is finding SGE's...

22-12-2021 18:30:53  #5

Paul,

Where are you located ?

Did you acquire the SGE 35 you mentioned ?

If yes, I might have a lead on a parts machine...

22-12-2021 18:31:55  #6

Oops...noticed from your 1st. post, you are in Brazil...

Board footera