You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-1-2022 22:12:03  #11

Re: Olympia SG 1

CoronaJoe,

Sounds like a parts machine might need to be in your future. 

20-1-2022 01:27:12  #12

That is one gorgeous olympia!  Mine came to me free, but in really ratty condition.  It still is, but types super well, like a dream as one might say.  It has the Olympia Congress type which I quite like.  They're fabulous machines.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

20-1-2022 05:04:44  #13

I may be able to help - I have an SG1 'parts machine'.  However, I am in England so postage could be expensive.

20-1-2022 11:39:13  #14

CoronaJoe,

If you do FaceBook, there is a guy (Scott Pool) on the Typewriter Parts & Accessories Group that indicated he has SG1 parts machine available (for parts or whole ???). 

His posting was from a few days ago.  Not sure what country he is located,  but you could make an inquiry.

20-1-2022 15:41:07  #15

you could make a whole machine from two parts machines!

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

20-1-2022 20:47:14  #16

Interesting, I forgot I'm in the "Parts and Accessories" Facebook group.  I participate in others as well.  I have the bottom end figured out.  I'll wait for the manuals to see what I may need for the carriage.  The sloppy platen needs attention, and it looks like some white out was spilled.  The under rollers are coated with it.

01-2-2022 16:24:47  #17

Update.  Everything is back together and adjusted.  The sloppy platen was easily corrected by putting a thrust collar in its proper place.  The sheet loader gear on the platen shaft seemed to have a lot of sidewise slop so a copper "shim" inserted kept it in full contact with the main gear.  The white-out deluge was easily removed with Xylene and the card holder cleaned up with no damage to the plastic.
I found the carriage tension in the spring motor was cranked up to over 1.5 Kg or over 3 lbs!!  I backed it off to about 700g and it moves easily with no hammering on the escapement and goes full travel with no spacing or tab problems at all.

I can easily see this as a day job machine and who ever invested in them thought well of their clerical staff. 

2 minor things to do down the road.  Put some sound proofing back in; the old turned to dust.  And find bits and minor parts such as a bail lift handle.  I'll also have to relearn posting pictures here.

Board footera