You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-12-2021 11:38:43  #1

Sears Correct-O-Ball-XL1

I have never tried an electric typewriter and don't know if I would enjoy using one.
But, I came across this electric typewriter, Sears Correcto-Ball XL1. I have never heard of these.
Does anyone have any advice, thoughts or reviews? 
I have yet to try it out before I buy it. Should I stay away from it?
Thanks.

04-12-2021 13:23:53  #2

Re: Sears Correct-O-Ball-XL1

The typewriter was made by Brother for Sears, but has the same model name. 

It's difficult to answer your question without asking a few questions first:
How much is it?
Does it work?
Do you collect typewriters, or only have one or two - and purely for practical use?

My approach would be that if it works, and it's cheap, I would buy it just to be able to learn about the model and to obtain experience with it. I love buying and trying out new and different typewriters, and there's always the option to resell it later on, or shelve it for occasional use without any guilt because you didn't pay a lot for it.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-12-2021 14:10:48  #3

Hey Uwe.
Thanks for getting your post.
I do collect typewriters, mostly German models, some SC and Royals.
No electric ones as of yet. This one works perfectly, as all sellers say. They want $50. for it. 
Might go tryout out tomorrow.
Thoughts?

04-12-2021 14:12:37  #4

I now have a total of four (4) electric machines in my collection.

Two (2) are fully electric.

The other two (2) are electric type-bar machines.  All the key-tops and putting print to paper is electric-drive but the upper "carriage" part is still fully manual.

I prefer these electric type-bar machines more.  Still has the old-school feel of using a manual CR lever and still has the "easy" feel/touch of the key-tops making the type-slugs hit the ribbon & paper.  Best of both worlds, as the saying goes.

And I find myself with no interests inn "golf ball" machines or those with daisy-wheels.

04-12-2021 15:10:13  #5

For $50, and providing it's working correctly, I'd say it's worth buying just for the opportunity to play around with something different than what you're used to.

I have a lot of different electric models, and while they can be extremely satisfying to use because of their consistent type impression and light touch, which can resemble a computer keyboard, the sound of their motors is stressful for me. That humming in the background is a constant reminder of the wear and tear that is happening even when I'm not actively typing.

In comparison a manual is silent and it's not being subjected to any wear and tear when I'm taking my time to think about what I want to write.

The only way for you to develop your own opinion on electric models, which is important in such a subjective hobby, is to buy it and try it. Good luck, and I expect we'll see a few photos and your impression soon?  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-12-2021 17:06:20  #6

Here is an eBay link to the Brother-version.

Golf-ball machine and a special ribbon cassette.  Might want to research if those cassettes can still be had.

I make sure my electrics take standard 2" ribbon spools.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323682662231?chn=ps

06-12-2021 08:45:09  #7

Here is the photo from the eBay ad :

07-12-2021 09:30:08  #8

Hi Pete,
Thanks for the advice and pictures.
Would you know where I can get those ribbon cassettes? The one I need looks like the one in the photo.
Also, if I wanted to change the type "golf" ball to another font, is that possible? The one I have is 10 pica
Where would I find those?
Thanks again.

07-12-2021 10:36:05  #9

Ive been eyeing those brothers myself for years. But I like using electric type bar machines the most so that solves the problem for me. If you've never used a electric type bar machine Ill bet you'll find them far more satisfying to use then type ball machines. Another drawback are the proprietary ribbon cassettes. 

Learned watchmaker and office machine enthusiast from Germany.

07-12-2021 12:56:01  #10

Hi Auggie

I chanced to pick one of these units up a few years ago, it came with the warranty card dated 9-11-82, the instruction manual and some supply reorder forms. I'll see if I can scan and post a picture of the reorder form a little later. It looks like the cassettes for these units are NLA from Brother and aftermarket suppliers too. I can give you a few numbers to work with if you think it might help. All the best,

Sky

Part # 3020 Black film
Part # 3023 Green film
Part # 3025 Blue film
Part # 4020 Black nylon
Part # 4023 Green nylon

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

Board footera