You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-1-2022 20:49:34  #11

Re: Qdl

The issue with the carriage running out of steam at the end of its run is holding me back. I'm sure its an easy fix for someone who likes working on typewriters. I mostly like typing on them and dread serious mechanical work

20-1-2022 01:31:20  #12

There are two things you can do. Tighten the mainspring (a last resort), oil the rails (lightly), and readjust the spacing of the rails (they may be bent or out of wack).  Guess that was three, oops!

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

11-2-2022 00:18:52  #13

I gave up on this one and will keep it for parts or a very boring rainy day project. Such a shame. Strangely I just got another QDL, probably a 51, and it has the same shift-catch issue. This time the tab (see photo a few posts above) isn't bent (it was packed perfectly, thanks to my instructions) but Doohicky A is clearly the cause. If I move Doohicky A even a little I can feel it catch and then release, then the shift works perfectly. But surely someone is familiar with this problem if it happened to me on 2 in a row, and surely  someone can explain it better using the proper terminology. I think a little cleaning should take care of it. Other than that there only seems to be one issue. When starting the paper it doesn't advance properly, but once it is loaded it advances fine during carriage returns or manually turning it. The paper release works fine, but is there any way to adjust it for more pressure? The platen is not hard, although I suppose it could have invisible flat spots or invisible shrinkage.

18-3-2022 19:46:22  #14

Turns out the tab was bent slightly, because now the shift works fine. However I'll need to do something with the paper feed not being snug enough. I watched this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhDFSBynz04

and I don't see a lot of space when I turn the platen but maybe its enough to matter or maybe its the feed roller if there is one hidden in there that I can't see. I want to switch platens or feed rollers between these 2 machines. Is it pretty much the same for a QDL as the KMM shown here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XU0VNwuSvE

20-3-2022 09:57:45  #15

Huh. Switched the platen and main feed roller (its easy) and the paper still slips. I'm stumped. Both platens look good, but there was a small flat spot on the feed roller that I switched out. Can't imagine its the springs, which seem fine, and don't really want to recover the platen and rollers. I can try switching the smaller feed roller too but that one looked fine. If I cant figure this out I may have to tackle the more odious shore of fixing the first unit that was damaged in shipping.

22-3-2022 08:21:03  #16

Don't be so shy.

I fixed the backspace problem on the shipping-damaged unit and now want to tackle the carriage issue, where it runs out of steam at the end of a line. I think I need to add just a bit of tension on the drawband but want to do it right. I hear that too much can cause other problems, so whats the right way? 

22-3-2022 08:29:03  #17

Looks to be a 53, with the drawband adjustment knob. But at max tension it still falls a hair shy. I think something is rubbing slightly but can't for the life of me figure out what, but that's why I want to be very careful in adding tension.

22-3-2022 19:06:30  #18

All royal platens come out the same way!  Unless it is quick-release.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

22-3-2022 19:31:02  #19

I'm way past that, I've had them in and out several times. Need help on the carriage motion/tension now.

23-3-2022 13:46:34  #20

Nobody knows how to tension a Royal drawband?

How about this: what does the carriage actually ride on? No matter what angle I look at it from it just seems to float. I cannot find the surfaces that it rides on, to clean them if they need it (It feels slightly sticky or lumpy at the end of its run)

Board footera