You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-1-2022 13:21:56  #1

AEG Traveller Deluxe S - irritating problem

I acquired a cheap AEG Olympia Traveller Deluxe S. It cleaned up nicely and types as it should, except for the letter 'a'. This letter only prints clearly if I deliberately hit the key hard.

I thought it might be that the type slug had got slightly bent so it wasn't striking cleanly, but that doesn't appear to be the case. I've cleaned the slot multiple times in case there was a bit of dirt stuck in there, but I can't see any. So I'm left with an issue in the mechanism as an explanation.

As I say, this is the only letter with a problem, so it isn't, for example, the platen distance.

Any ideas?

I wish I was a head light on a north-bound train

15-1-2022 16:10:12  #2

Re: AEG Traveller Deluxe S - irritating problem

Maybe the key lever or the linkage is deformed?

15-1-2022 16:19:32  #3

could be - had I not joined this forum I would probably have emailed you 

15-1-2022 16:42:04  #4

The problem you describe sounds definitely familiar to me, I think I encountered it at least twice. If my memory serves me right, it had something to do with the linkages.

15-1-2022 16:48:36  #5

I'll have a look at them tomorrow and see if there's anything obvious to a newby like me. Thanks

15-1-2022 18:47:49  #6

Make sure it isn't hitting the sides of the type guide at all.  If it is only one letter, I'll assume the carriage and platen are all good.  The other thing to check is to make sure the the wire linkage that attaches to the type bar isn't bent too much.  Otherwise you may look into resoldering.  Just make sure you remember to flux ;)

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

16-1-2022 03:52:22  #7

Lucas Dul wrote:

Make sure it isn't hitting the sides of the type guide at all. If it is only one letter, I'll assume the carriage and platen are all good. The other thing to check is to make sure the the wire linkage that attaches to the type bar isn't bent too much. Otherwise you may look into resoldering. Just make sure you remember to flux ;)

Thanks Lucas

I'm as sure of that as I can be - I can't feel any contact and interdental brushes do a good job of of cleaning the slots in the type guide. Looking closely, I've a feeling that the wire linkage isn't quite bent enough and there's a little too much play there.  

18-1-2022 13:38:16  #8

I seem to have fixed it by tackling two issues. Firstly, there was a fair bit of play on one of the linkages that I managed to address. Once I'd done that I looked again at how it was passing through the type guide, and found that it sometimes caught the side and fixing the link had made that more obvious. A bit of brute force with pliers, and now it types cleanly and well.

Thanks to both Laurenz and Lucas

Now to move onto another machine ...

20-1-2022 01:32:07  #9

Congrats!  Another typewriter beating the pages!

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

Board footera