You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-3-2013 19:49:00  #1

Forum Restructuring - PLEASE VOTE NOW!

NOTE: The poll is now closed. The winner was Option 2 (see example 1 below).

Currently the Typewriter Talk Forum is divided into four sections: Typewriters, Tech Talk, Social, and Buy & Sell.

Since the initial launch of the forum less than two weeks ago, a few members have voiced their dissatisfaction with the way the Typewriter section was divided by sub-forums for a manufacturer’s country of origin. A number of suggestions were made on how the Typewriter section should be restructured, and consequently this thread and its accompanying poll was created to determine which of these suggestions should be used.

If you’re reading this, PLEASE vote in the poll. It’s important that everyone participate so we can create a forum that best suits the needs of the majority who use it. The poll will run for two weeks and close on April 7 to give eveyone an opportunity to participate and to allow members that are joining daily to jump in.

The other three sections will remain unchanged; however, an “Off-Topic” sub-forum will be added to the Social section for non-typewriter discussions.

Should the outcome of the poll determine a change be made that divides typewriters by era, we will have a further discussion to determine what those eras will be.

Examples for the Poll's options

WINNER
Example 1:
Typewriters
- Type Talk
- Electric
- Portables
- Desktop
- Early Typewriters

Example 2:
Portable Typewriters
- Type Talk
- Electric
- Pre-????
- Post-????
Desktop Typewriters
- Type Talk
- Electric
- Pre-????
- Post-???? 

Example 3:
Portable Typewriters
- Type Talk
- Electric
- Manufacturers A-M
- Manufacturers N-Z
Desktop Typewriters
- Type Talk
- Electric
- Manufacturers A-M
- Manufacturers N-Z 

Example 4:
Pre-???? Typewriters
- Type Talk
- Portable
- Desktop
Post-???? Typewriters
- Type Talk
- Electric
- Portable
- Desktop

Last edited by Uwe (08-4-2013 12:47:51)

How would you like to see the Typewriter section of the forum restructured?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

24-3-2013 20:02:18  #2

Re: Forum Restructuring - PLEASE VOTE NOW!

I voted for Option 2. It looks like it has the best arrangement of what people seem to want. 

"Not Yet Published" - My History Blog
"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

24-3-2013 23:28:48  #3

I don't know if your vote swayed me Shangas but I was going to vote for No.1, then decided that 2 it would be.  #4 is also a workable choice but I find #3 to be awkward.

The choices of Pre and Post will certainly have a bearing on the enjoyment of the forum and I hope some sensible choices will be made.

For choice #1 what would the "antique" catagory be for?  Certainly most index typewriters but what about an 1889 Remington No.2?  Very Antique but also very Desk.

I could see Portables being divided pre and post WWII but the Desk types need to be divided well before then; I'd choose 1930 as the dividing point where shiny black was transforming into crinkle grey and streamlining.

Let's hope we get a lot of votes on this so only a few people don't choose the final outcome.

24-3-2013 23:44:35  #4

2 just seems the most effective method of organisation. It's divided by categories, and then by dates. I mean, so is #4, but to divide them by YEAR first, seems pretty tricky. That's why I picked 2 over 4.

"I just sit at a typewriter and curse a bit" - Sir Pelham Grenville "P.G." Wodehouse
"The biggest obstacle to professional writing is the necessity for changing a typewriter ribbon" - Robert Benchley

25-3-2013 01:43:21  #5

Are you two talking about the poll option numbers or the example numbers? The numbers in the brackets are example numbers.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

25-3-2013 05:06:17  #6

I'm talking about the example numbers. I don't see any other numbers around here. 

26-3-2013 21:17:48  #7

I guess the experts are going to want something different, but I voted for 1 because it seems to divide up the whole thing into its most obvious types.  Beginners and general users will find that easier to navigate.  They will know that the machine they are interested in is one of these, but they are far less likely to know the date or place of origin.

Sincerely,
beak.

26-3-2013 21:36:55  #8

beak wrote:

I guess the experts are going to want something different, but I voted for 1 because it seems to divide up the whole thing into its most obvious types.  Beginners and general users will find that easier to navigate.  They will know that the machine they are interested in is one of these, but they are far less likely to know the date or place of origin.

This is exactly what I was trying to express in the Suggestion Box thread. "Experts" can find what they're looking for regardless of how it's sorted, but its the forum's ease of use for those new to typewriters that I'm most concerned about. 

And as I've already pointed out, no time division point will work for every brand across the board and inevitably there will be many models that crossover the pre- and post- criteria.

29-3-2013 11:00:42  #9

I voted for 1.

Options 2 and 4 would rely on a user knowing how old their typewriter was, and that won't always be that easy to determine. Option 3 seemed over-elaborate to me, too much subdivision.

By inclination, I'm a lumper, not a splitter, so option 1 seemed simplest and best.

30-3-2013 08:45:25  #10

Ah, Uwe, I don't envy you here, having to make the final decision--unless the vote is overwhelming for something. I'm not ready to vote yet. I find the comments insightful and they will probably point out some things I haven't yet considered.

I'm leaning toward example #1, for the reason you are: simplicity for beginners. The problem with it is that the categories will fill up so quickly as to be overwhelming. Offering more categories evens that out but then we run into the exact problem you are addressing. So now I'm leaning toward #3....

By Dates is the most problematic and I think the problem is fatal to that as a category arrangement. It is too hard to determine or agree on in too many cases. Look at the weird date claims on eBay and Etsy and Craigslist. Scratch ex. #4.

By Area of Origin is also not clear for newbies and is even ambiguous for experts: do you look for your Olivetti under Italy if it says Made in Spain on the back, or under Eurpoe if it says Made In Brazil? Everybody knows Olympias come from Germany (Europe), except when it says Japan on the back. Royal is an American name, alright, but how many of their factories weren't? Even when you make a decision, someone else may decide the other way and then the references get spread across various categories.

Even By Manufacturer, though pretty darn clear, is problematic: do you look for your Webster under W or under B for Brother? Look for your Tower under T or under S for Sears or under O for Olivetti? Here I think calling the category "Brand" would work better, with a cross reference chart in a FAQ.

"Desktop" is an ambiguous category, as many of us joke about the heavier portables. I suggest "Office" might be clearer. 

"Electric" is a useful category; I would like to distinguish "Electronic" (the plastic wedges, daisywheels) though there probably isn't enough interest in either to justify both categories.

I strongly suggest a separate FAQ, with pinned posts, for constant interests like advice on cleaning, lubrication, sources, repair tips, and so on. A wiki would be ideal here; does this forum software offer that? It would be so nice to be able to delete every recurring suggestion to use WD-40 and 3-in-1.

I'll be watching 'til April, because I want to see more responses before I vote.

Thanks so much for doing this!
== Michael Höhne

Incidentally, that link to suits in the OP---cute is almost always a waste of time. Sure, I don't _have_ to click on it but I don't know that until after I do.

Board footera