You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-2-2022 14:24:04  #1

Do you buy multiples of the same machine?

I have opportunity to buy a pristine machine at a great price though I have one just like it. I wish it was at least a different color than the one I have. I hate to miss the chance but I don’t want to have machines kept in cases and not being displayed and used. 

- Be kind 

11-2-2022 15:00:47  #2

Re: Do you buy multiples of the same machine?

My short answer is, YES!

I rarely pass up on an extremely good example of a model if it's modestly priced. I have a few reasons for this practice, and there's really no downside to it. On the flipside there are often subtle differences between them: for example, I have three Royal FPs because I wanted an example of each typeface. And then there are the shelves full of SG1s that are mostly all different model years, carriage widths and feature sets. A layperson would look at them and think they were all the same - but maladjusted collectors would recognize their variances.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-2-2022 16:21:38  #3

Yes,  and I think I could at least compare to my current and keep the favorite.

I,m new to the hobby and enjoy exploring 50s models I see discussed a lot. So I have an Adler, a Remington Quiet Riter, Oly sm9, and 3 smith Coronas 5 series because I just like looking at those rounded corners..

- Be kind 

12-2-2022 13:11:05  #4

I consider the '50s to be the golden era of typewriter manufacturing, and in terms of aesthetics, models from that period are my absolute favorites.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

12-2-2022 13:12:15  #5

I now have three versions of the Smith Corona 5ax series otherwise known as the three diamond series from 1964, two Classic"s (one pica and another elite) both in sage brown.  I also have a Sterling in spring green from 1963 in elite font.  The differences are subtle...the Sterling has a bigger and louder bell and it has a chrome, 4 screw escapement plate/ vibrator that is near identical to a later Galaxie.  The Classic's have a black 2 screw escapement plate and vibrator identical to a Silent Super. All three type very well.

13-2-2022 10:42:00  #6

I have two (2) Royal Futura 800's in my collection.  One grey and one cococa colored.  Each has a differing type size and font.  I had plans to pick up all five colors of the Futura 800...but gave up that thought and focused on more German and Swedish machines.

A year of so ago, I actually had three (3) Olivetti-Underwood 21 machines in my home.  Had one that was missing one part to make it 100%.  Got a 2nd. parts machine for $ 19 but when it arrived it was too nice and functioning almost perfectly but was missing 2 parts.  So I bought a 3rd. machine for $ 12 locally that was missing it escapement and carriage trolleys...but it had the parts I needed for machine No. 1 and machine No.2.  I kept No. 1 and gifted No. 2 to a teen in our neighborhood.  Machine No. 3 was taken apart and placed in storage for spare parts I might need in the future on my operating machine.  Chassis went to our local metal recycler.

13-2-2022 10:54:05  #7

Uwe,

This 1958 Buick Super is available only 19 miles from my home.

Only matter of $ 20K stopping me from bringing it home. 

Looks like the "cococa" color on the Royal Futura 800s.

13-2-2022 13:32:42  #8

The car is stunning, a work of art, but justifying its purchase as accessorizing a Royal Futura 800 would likely initiate divorce proceedings for me.

Pete E. wrote:

... I had plans to pick up all five colors of the Futura 800...

Periwinkle Blue, Mist Gray, Cocoa, Americana, and Meadow Green.

I had a similar idea for the FP, but there were eight paint options for that model, and I quickly realized that it would be an expensive and pointless pursuit. Gray was the preferred choice for a conservative office, and as a result it likely outsold all of the other colours combined by multiple factors. All of my FPs are gray, as were all of the local ones I passed on over the years. 

14-2-2022 12:31:00  #9

Haha. Yes accessorizing a Royal Futura with a car is a bridge too far.

- Be kind 

18-2-2022 11:38:18  #10

Generally no.  I keep only what I use.  But there are exceptions.  I buy a lot of Royal Ps because I love them.  I haven't kept any of them though, I own one and it's enough.  I do own two William's, they're rare and my favorite.  Other then that, I'm not big into collecting.  I mostly just enjoy fixing and typing.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

Board footera