You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-2-2022 10:50:51  #11

Re: Do you buy multiples of the same machine?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

22-2-2022 07:07:23  #12

Oh yes.
And I would arrive at the office in that car, carrying that typewriter and wearing a matching tie!

- Be kind 

24-2-2022 10:53:38  #13

With a girl on your arm with high-heel shoes and handbag of the same
"cococa" color...

11-3-2022 17:59:12  #14

Um I MAY have just bought a down-at-the-heels Dora to serve as a parts machine to back up my BELOVED Lettera 32 when the apocalypse comes. These are the actions of a perfectly reasonable man.

I am also a musician and know that most folks who seriously play Fender Rhodes pianos (mechanical, complex, haven't been manufactured for decades) are running their stage instrument on the backs of two or three ravaged carcasses of less-fortunate machines they have in their basement. This is what we do when the world has passed by what we love!

SIDE NOTE: the serial number puts this Dora in 1969, but it has a silver carriage assembly, not black. With the cowling off it really looks to me (who does not know much) like a Lettera 32 without touch control. I can't find any other Doras online with silver carriage stuff, just black. And it has paper guides too. So maybe they had more Letteras than they needed that day and just loaded some as Doras? Thoughts?

11-3-2022 18:10:56  #15

Lazy dog you have chosen well for your apocalypse typewriter. I'm a guitar player but I once owned a Fender Rhodes. It had one dead key. Similar to having a typewriter with one dead key, you have to choose your notes carefully. 

- Be kind 

11-3-2022 18:31:21  #16

So true Mikeytap! Actually the Rhodes player I am thinking of gave up hauling that heavy beast up and down stairs and went with the really very good emulation on his Nord, and he saves his back. Another one lost to technology. Okay, back to typewriters...

17-3-2022 21:08:43  #17

It's logical to buy more than one of your favorite typer. Not like they are making any more parts. It's an honor to restore these old things, I feel.

18-3-2022 06:22:09  #18

Yes Shifty, there is soul in an old typewriter and waking it up again is gratifying isn't it? I picked up a 1949 Remington that I just brought back to life and it's typing very well now with its particular touch. I picked up a Remington Travel-Riter at the same time that is pretty much a disaster but I enjoy looking at it.  I can do basic cleaning and fixes but when things are bent it is a little over my head. 

- Be kind 

22-3-2022 18:52:21  #19

Depending on what is bent, you can just hammer it out flat again.  Sometimes you'll need a little heat.  I had a Royal 10 in last summer that was dropped on the carriage and needed to have the rear bit of the carriage ends unbent.  Used a blowtorch and some hammers and it looked basically like new after

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

07-4-2022 10:35:27  #20

I'm finding it very useful to have a second machine as a reference while working on another of the same model - especially as I'm still learning these machines and the art of repair & restoration in general.

Here is my '47 and '41 QDLs serving as references to each other. 

There is a downside to this approach (at least for my stage of learning): I work on one and get it tuned up to the best of my abilities, then work on the other, learn a few more things, then go back to the first, apply those lessons, learn a bit more, go back to the second, ... and that's why I've been slowly tinkering on both these machines for 2 months.

Board footera