You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-2-2022 10:40:20  #1

Electric Typewriter Decibel levels

I have two Electric typewriters.  One of them is particularly loud to my ears and that is a 1962 SCM Coronet Electric.  It has a really hard platen and when the keys strike the sound is rather sharp even with two craft papers as backup.  My second typewriter is a Sear’s Medalist Power 12 which is loud but not as loud as the Coronet.
I have an old analog Radio Shack sound level meter which I believe is reasonably accurate.  On the Coronet when I press the x key in the repeat mode I get a reading of about 88 decibels ( This is the start of unsafe levels per RS).  The repeat modes of periods and underline keys are not quite that high, perhaps 84 average.   The Sear’s machine with the x key in the repeat mode is closer to 80, still high but not as sharp on my ears and a little more acceptable.
The solution of course is to get a new platen if I was inclined to spend $75.  I wonder though, since the platen hollow, has anyone stuffed anything in the platen, like a sock to dampen the sound?

26-2-2022 12:26:11  #2

Re: Electric Typewriter Decibel levels

In doing this evaluation, you should know that Smith-Corona electrics after a certain time (I do not know when they developed this.) have rigged the repeating keys for small characters, period and comma and maybe dash/underscore, to strike with a lesser force precisely because they are smaller and more prone to damage the paper, etc. You can recognize these arrangements from underneath the keyboard by an extra bit in their linkages, near the key end. This will, of course result in a different sound when they hit the platen.

On a manual typewriter, the experienced typist could evolve a lighter technique on the small characters, but on an electric the typist cannot control that detail. I haven't looked, but I wonder whether any other manufacturers took such steps. I'm pretty sure IBM did in the Selectrics.

That Sears was made by Smith-Corona and Sears did spec some differences, conceivably including the spec for the platen rubber (but probably not that detail). The differences you are seeing and hearing are more likely due to the different experiences those two had over the last 50 years. One might have been left out in the sun all the time and the other mostly stored in a cool, dry, dark place, for example.

Let us know how it works out to stuff a damper into the hollow platen. But I think that S-C, being such an innovative engineering company, might have tried that and decided it wasn't worth it. Do let us know. Still, a damper won't protect the slugs from hitting a rock-hard platen, though. It would be best to get it recovered. I really like that Sears Medalist and it's worth treating well.

26-2-2022 12:38:57  #3

Re: Electric Typewriter Decibel levels

The Coronet Electric is older at 1962 and it has elite typeface...the smaller slug may account for some of the loudness too.  The repeat X key when used as a capital is less loud BTW.  The Sear's Medalist, 1969, has pica typeface.  Also since the Medalist in its day was a deluxe model it may have more sound proofing capabilities.  I did use a yoga mat underneath both typewriters in my tests.

Board footera