You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-3-2022 16:52:46  #1

Broken during shipping

Is it expected that a certain percentage of shipped typewriters are going to be damaged in shipping? As a relatively new collector I've had a couple of hits. 

The Adler J5 I bought a month ago had a carriage knob busted into pieces. Same damage on a SC Sterling I received today. Both from shopgoodwill.com. They wrap the heck out of the cases but put nothing around the typewriter itself. The Adler had either popped loose from its clamps or been knocked so it was loose in the case. The SC was still locked down to the case but I guess the carriage was moving. Sad. I bet you veterans chalk it up as a minor miracle when you open up and find everything ok. 

- Be kind 

05-3-2022 17:27:33  #2

Re: Broken during shipping

Literally never happened to me. Ive even had pre-war standards shipped and they all arrived intact. I just got lucky.

Tho nowadays I wouldn't take the risk to ship most standards anymore. With proper packaging its fine to ship pretty much anything but in my experience sellers wont do it right even when you tell them how.

Post war portables are, for the most part, far less fragile. 

Learned watchmaker and office machine enthusiast from Germany.

05-3-2022 17:34:40  #3

You have indeed been fortunate. I've had 3 damaged and 4 arrive intact. All portables. I don't think I'll chance  getting a standard through the mail.

- Be kind 

06-3-2022 11:54:05  #4

Hi mikeytap, 

It definitely makes a difference in who did the packing. I recently bought an Olympia SG3 from Lucas Dul and I have to say I was concerned about how well it would travel. I think because he is a typewriter aficionado he packed it well. Since the SG3 has an easily removable carriage he packed each piece in separate boxes. My other three standards have all been in person transactions.  

I have received a couple of portables that were packed with care from a business. I have also received a portable from the same business not packed with care that I had to return to be fixed. Some people packing seem to think that being in a case is good enough because, well, it’s in a case.  

When I was into electric guitars and amplifiers I packed with the idea it might have to survive a train wreck. I also received items where someone felt that a liberal sprinkling of packing peanuts was good enough because, well, they are packing peanuts.  

Buying used anything that needs to be shipped is always a gamble. 

George

06-3-2022 17:57:34  #5

If they don't accept a return for the Clipper I'll consider it a parts machine. I did not pay much for it and most of the 50s Smith Coronas look like they share many interchangeable parts.  

- Be kind 

06-3-2022 20:28:29  #6

. . . . or I can find another clipper to use for parts for this one. ...sigh... no end in sight. 

- Be kind 

08-3-2022 10:31:52  #7

Shop goodwill has some issues with shipping.  They have a reputation for REALLY bad packing.  There are a variety of good resources for properly packing a typewriter, feel free to check some out and send them to the eBay sellers.  Unfortunately many sellers don't go for them as they seem too "out of the way" or expensive.  Sometimes the worst just has a way of happening.  I have been told by IMB techs that shipping a selectric doesn't matter since they're so robust, but I have had selectrics arrive at my doorstep absolutely shattered.  No machine is impervious to damage.  

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

09-3-2022 22:45:35  #8

mikeytap wrote:

Is it expected that a certain percentage of shipped typewriters are going to be damaged in shipping? As a relatively new collector I've had a couple of hits. 

The Adler J5 I bought a month ago had a carriage knob busted into pieces. Same damage on a SC Sterling I received today. Both from shopgoodwill.com. They wrap the heck out of the cases but put nothing around the typewriter itself. The Adler had either popped loose from its clamps or been knocked so it was loose in the case. The SC was still locked down to the case but I guess the carriage was moving. Sad. I bet you veterans chalk it up as a minor miracle when you open up and find everything ok. 

After my perfect QDL was destroyed by reckless shipping (no padding anywhere, not locked into case) I sent videos of how to pack a typewriter to them when I found another, asked them t PLEASE make sure their shippers watched, and it arrived very well packed. It was clear they watched.

09-3-2022 22:47:06  #9

That one time was really the only time out of about 10 or 12 that I had a problem with SGW

10-3-2022 12:22:40  #10

Of my 35 machines, around 25-26 of them came to my home via shipping/delivery.

None have had a mishap and they have come via UPS, Fed Exp, US Postal, and even no-name couriers.  Several even came "Across the Pond".  These included Standard machines such as Olympia SG1, Facit T2, and big heavy electrics weighing 25, 35, and even 52 lbs.

I do work with my sellers and ask them if they need tips for packing and all have welcomed my input.  For a couple of sellers I have even kicked in an extra $ 10 to beef up their shipping box (double walled, heavy duty from U-Haul) and more robust packing materials.

Board footera