You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

13-11-2022 09:11:14  #11

Re: Smith-Corona Electric

Forgot to post up an "after" photo of machine and refurbished case for my 1959-made typewriter.

This is really a fun machine to use and I love its manual CR lever and mechanics.

17-11-2022 12:37:15  #12

Did not realize this other grey colour version was available in the day.  Labeled as the "Electric V" on the paper tray.

It is only 6-7 miles from my home.

But the asking price of $ 279 will keep me in check.

20-11-2022 01:40:07  #13

A special thanks to the comment on the belt.  I must say, as far as belt driven electric type bar machines go, the Smith Coronas last the longest and are the most reliable.  I have many more issues with belt failure on the Royal.  Also, on that note, thank you to the dude who shared belt replacements!  I turn a lot of these machines down for belt problems.  I did end up with a blue 5TE a couple years back that typed script.  I took all the type slugs out and soldered them into a 1927 Royal P.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

20-11-2022 16:36:36  #14

Plus these Smith-Coronas still have a CR Lever and other manual features...so it still feels like using a typewriter (with some electric-assist of the type-bars).

Have an Olympia SEP that has a similar set-up, as well.

24-11-2022 18:52:15  #16

Thanks for the heads up Pete. I like the manual CR and the rounded corners but it's more than I want to pay. There's also an Olympia SM3 I think listed with a high price too.

26-11-2022 11:57:34  #17

If I were hankering for a blue one (which I think are popular), I would send the seller an email through eBay and offer maybe $ 200.  They would have to change their ad pricing and then one could jump on the BIN.  Let the seller know you would be a local pick up so they do not have all the time and hassle of packing and shipping.  Might be worth it to them to do the discount.

29-11-2022 18:29:29  #18

Lucas...a bag of 50 o-rings from McMaster-Carr set me back around $ 19 or so including shipping.

I went into shock when I saw one fellow offering a pair of them for $ 35/pair.

21-8-2023 11:33:15  #19

Some eye-candy here.  S-C 5TE made in 1964 or so for Penncrest (JC Penney).

Only one on the TWDB.

https://typewriterdatabase.com/1964-penncrest-scm-concord-10.2788.typewriter

21-8-2023 11:55:33  #20

Cool! I love the color scheme. I didn't know they made a 5TE in this. I had spotted a 5T Penncrest with the same color scheme at an antique store here in Seattle. Almost took it home, but I knew I had a stack of grimy 5 series machines at home waiting my attention, so I let it pass.

While I do love the color scheme, I'm not keen on the angular ribbon cover over such an otherwise round machine.

Board footera