You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-4-2022 14:57:30  #111

Re: What Are You Typing On Today...?

Up for tomorrow...my "youngest" manual typewriter.

A 1981 Brother Deluxe 1613 with a 12" platen.  Colour was a well-done, professional repaint and the colour scheme is what drew me in.

My first (and still only) Brother machine, made in Japan.

It is a very competent typewriter and an easy one to take on the move around the house or outdoors.  Without its case, it weighs 12.4 lbs.  Body cowlings are all plastic, by now in 1981.

It came from the Netherlands and has a couple of special Dutch keys.

Might be one that  I "gift" to a youngster, eventually.

26-4-2022 14:59:38  #112

Forgot to mention...this one is in the Brother JP5 run of machines.

26-4-2022 15:16:43  #113

It looks like my JP-7 machines in just about every detail,  What is the difference between the JP-7 and JP-5?

26-4-2022 18:32:25  #114

Martin,

Take a look towards the bottom of this page where the JP5 and JP7 are outlined...and listed by the machine name.  For example, my Deluxe 1613.

Feature wise, my Deluxe 1613 has Tab stops that are variable and are set with a clear/set lever on the left side of the the key-tops.

I think the JP7 machines have only factory-fixed Tab stops every 7-8 spaces all the way across the platen.

Both seem to have been made in the 1974-75 to 1984 time frame.

Body wise, the entire plastic cowling lifts off of my Deluxe 1613 as one large piece, whereas the JP7's seem to have a traditional, smaller ribbon cover that lifts off.

Probably some other differences and similarities between the JP5 and JP7 machines.

https://typewriterdatabase.com/brother.10.typewriter-serial-number-database

27-4-2022 08:53:16  #115

Thanks Pete for the clarification.  What confused me is that one of my Brother's(Sear's Achiever),  a JP-7, from 1978 so much resembles, at least in function, your Brother Deluxe 1613.  Granted not nearly as pretty but I buy cheap and want a functional typewriter.  The Achiever has full variable Tab function.  It has carriage lock on the left.  It lacks a paper guide that yours has.  The ribbon color selector is different in that your machines red color is on the top of the selector while mine is black.  
I also have a Brother Deluxe 750TR , also a JP-7 from 1975 that has the fixed tab stops...also the carriage lock is on the right side and also has no paper guide.  No rubber rollers on the bail either.
Both are good typers for being lightweight.  

27-4-2022 09:03:31  #116

Hi Martin,

I love your first machine just for its colour combination.

My Deluxe 1613 (JP5) as a ribbon vibrator that move up/down squarely from the center of the machine.

It looks like your JP7's have their ribbon vibrator coming up/down from a fulcrum lever on the right side of the segment.

Maybe that might be a trend on the JP7's...????

27-4-2022 09:28:49  #117

Pete:  I should have noticed the fulcrum lever mechanism.  I have always been led to believe that it was a Japanese invention but I have a Olivetti Studio 45 from 1972 that has it too!  Who came out with it first?  Anybody know?

27-4-2022 09:45:56  #118

Martin, that is a good question. 

Maybe if you start a new post, folks can get to the bottom of that for you by reporting their machines that have the fulcrum-lever lift.

27-4-2022 18:33:20  #119

Desk change-out this evening for tomorrow's day of work...

1957 Imperial Good Companion 5 (made in the UK).  I brought this one in from the UK to join our home.

In great shape and works flawlessly.  Feels like a much heavier machine than the 12.4 lbs. it only weighs without its case weight.

My leatherette case had its closure strap nearly torn off. And rather than finding a saddle-shop for sewing repairs, I went with a nice butterfly hinge and some small stainless hardware to hold it all in place.

27-4-2022 20:00:14  #120

More nice case work mr Pete

- Be kind 

Board footera