You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-5-2022 19:15:55  #181

Re: What Are You Typing On Today...?

I think Pete E posted one of these of these or something similar earlier in this thread.
This is a Wizard Truetype (Brother), 1962, Sold by Western Auto. They were a chain of stores found mostly in small towns and there was one in the town where I grew up.  I remember my dad bought a Wizard outboard motor there. They transitioned from auto items into sort of a variety hardware store. I bought fishing gear there in the 60s. They also used the Wizard name on other things like these typewriters. I think it's a cool design with its gold WA logo for Western Auto. It's a sturdy little ultra portable and as a typer I prefer it to my Smith-Corona Skyriter.   

- Be kind 

18-5-2022 19:43:04  #182

Mikeytap,

That is a lovely one and THAT case...!!!  Thanks for sharing.

19-5-2022 07:08:30  #183

Good article about these early Brothers, here :

https://type-writer.org/?p=3945

19-5-2022 14:40:09  #184

Mikeytap,

Cool looking machine! As someone who works with TrueType fonts all day, I may have to get me one of these. I've been interested in trying out a JP-1 anyway, so...

19-5-2022 17:41:00  #185

robmck wrote:

Mikeytap,

Cool looking machine! As someone who works with TrueType fonts all day, I may have to get me one of these. I've been interested in trying out a JP-1 anyway, so...

It's not a bad little travel banger. These are all a little jangly compared to the expensive brands but I translate jangly to easy, light action. Look at me, only been in this hobby for a year and I"m throwing around all kinds of expert terminology!  
But for all the Brother variants I've picked up for cheap, I'm amazed at how many arrived working as they should and not temperamental at all.  I think they made about 10 million machines.  Going to read Pete's link on Brothers,

- Be kind 

Board footera