You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

05-4-2022 10:30:40  #11

Re: What Are You Typing On Today...?

We left early Saturday morning for a week in Carlsbad, California. Previously acquiring an Olympia Olympiette 2 for taking traveling by air I packed it in my carry on and set off. It arrived unscathed and has let me continue to write daily. 

Geoege

[img][/img]

05-4-2022 10:35:37  #12

I’m amazed I managed to make a post with photo from a remote location using my iPad. Yeah technology!

George

05-4-2022 12:36:15  #13

Pete E. wrote:

Mikeytap,

I was thinking your Marista 11 had some body lines in common with the German-made Princess line.

Dug around a bit and found this article :

https://memoryboxproject.co.uk/item/portable-maritsa-11-typewriter/

Thanks, very informative.

- Be kind 

06-4-2022 11:31:34  #14

Today's machine is my 1964Swiss-made Hermes 3000.

I had 3 business letters to write and I got them ready for the Post.

Funny...I now type business matters on a typewriter...BUT...I still scan them on my flat-bed scanner and save them on hard drives for long-term storage and retrieval.

I guess I am not ready to commit to going back to a paper-filing system.

06-4-2022 12:17:49  #15

Dragging out this modest Tower Quiet-Tabulator today. I think this was a rebranded SC Sterling. It was in need of cleaning when I found it locally and now it joins my Tower President as a favored typer. The color is actually more of a greenish tint than appears here, and not the same tan as the President.  

- Be kind 

06-4-2022 13:36:44  #16

Mikeytap,

That is quite the handsome machine.  I have not dug into how many colors this S-C made "Tower" was offered.

And I love how the ribbon-reversal lever is so handy along the upper left side of the key-tops.

I do prefer manually-set Tab stops along the back rail.  Reason I went with an Olympia SM3 and did not bother getting a SM4.

07-4-2022 18:07:41  #17

Up on my work desk, today, is my 1960 AMC (rebadged version of the Alpina SK 24).

West German made, solid and weighs in at 17.6 lbs. without its case weight.

This "portable" feels like you are typing on a standard machine.

Interesting is the CR lever is not metal but nylon and rotates 90-degrees from its storage-positon to its use-position.

This is an original owner machine.  The young man in the photo-scan below was a senior in high-school at the time he bought the machine which followed him to college, seminary school and a long career as a pastor.  He passed away in 2012 and used it all of his professional life on a daily basis.  His daughter sold me the machine after having it in a closet for 8 years when she was ready to find a new home for her Dad's machine.

07-4-2022 18:25:44  #18

That's a curvy beauty with a history. The carriage return is most unusual. You would think it would become brittle over time and break. Must be a stout build. 

- Be kind 

07-4-2022 18:52:27  #19

Mikeytap,

This machine also has a "hybrid" carriage-shift design.  Rather than the entire carriage going up/down with the Cap-lock key, only the platen and  its platen knobs rise up/down in a diagonal motion along cut-outs in the metal of the carriage end-plates.

So you are not lifting the entire weight of the carriage when shifting.

At least on my machine, the solid-nylon is very substantial and I do not worry about hitting the lever briskly with a carriage-return. 

I  suspect if a machine was left near a window and had lots of UV light exposure, it might change the plastic and become brittle over time.

07-4-2022 19:50:21  #20

Ah, so a light lifting carriage. Very interesting machine, has to be one of your favorites.  And that nylon carriage shift has to be more pleasant than slapping cold steel. 

- Be kind 

Board footera