You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

09-4-2022 11:37:09  #31

Re: What Are You Typing On Today...?

That is really a lovely color-scheme !

09-4-2022 13:09:01  #32

Mikeytap,

Ms. Leigh Whitaker on a FaceBook typewriter maint. group make the nameplates for several brands of machines.

On her F-B profile page, you can see samples of her work.  She is in the USA in Ohio.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1794856020751839/user/518406081/

09-4-2022 13:56:25  #33

I need one of those, I'm not a facebook regular but I'll see if I can find out how to buy. 
m

Pete E. wrote:

Mikeytap,

Ms. Leigh Whitaker on a FaceBook typewriter maint. group make the nameplates for several brands of machines.

On her F-B profile page, you can see samples of her work.  She is in the USA in Ohio.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1794856020751839/user/518406081/

- Be kind 

10-4-2022 08:12:47  #34

Today's switch-up is to my 1959 Royal Futura 800 in the 2-tone grey colour scheme. 

I liked this one so much, I decided to get the "cococa" coloured one, as well, some months later. 

The Futura suits my typing style more than the earlier 1947 and 1957 Royal QDL's that I also own.  It lets me type very fast.

I did develop a "hack" to bring the red/black ribbon colour selection feature to the outside, front of the machine.  Easily reversible in the future to go back to its original state.

10-4-2022 09:11:47  #35

Well done discreet hack for the color selector. Micro engineering!

- Be kind 

10-4-2022 10:38:05  #36

Remington day.
I like typing on this '49 "All New". Hard to describe the action but it's the opposite of jangly, though not stiff and unpleasant. It's like a nice piece of wood versus metallic. I have a '58 quiet-riter but it's not as soulful as this one. Both have a nice sheen finish instead of a pebbled surface. I have another that was broken in shipping, refunded and I'm keeping as a parts machine.  I like the proprietary ribbon spools that look like motion picture reels. I'm sure you've all seen but here is an amusing '58 tv commercial for the Quiet-Riter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ1Ij38bCO8

- Be kind 

10-4-2022 11:23:24  #37

Miketap,

Here is the mod I did on my other Futura using a spare lever off of Olivetti-Underwood 21 parts machine.  I did not worry about bringing the "stencil" function to the exterior lever...as I never use that.  A future owner of my Futuras can simply take my "modification" off the machine and it returns to normal.

On my grey coloured Futura, I use a spare lever from a 1947 Royal QDL parts machine that had.  But the attachment is the same.

10-4-2022 13:00:13  #38

Mikeytap,

Your 1949 Remington "All New" is a lovely machine.

I have had one on my wish list...the 1949's that had a row of white keys up on top and white platen knobs.  Also in the smooth paint as your machine.

11-4-2022 07:10:10  #39

1971 Penncrest Caravelle-12 is an SCM in a spiffy suit designed for Penny's department stores. It's all metal except for the chrome panel across the front. It's heavy. It mirrors car designs of the period: bright, angular and trimmed. It's a good typer and I can go pretty fast without pileups. I had to learn that 12 in the title means it has a wide carriage so I'll be avoiding 12s because my shelves are crowded. I bought a Caravelle 10 as well but the 12 is a better typer for some reason. Maybe the spring is wound tighter to drag that bigger carriage?

- Be kind 

11-4-2022 08:15:57  #40

Both lovely to look at.  Nice you were able to get 2 with the same colour scheme.

Up today on my desk...1968 Olympia SM9.

This was a local buy from the 1 and only owner who bought it as a young girl in high school in 1968-69.  She used it until she got an iPad and then it lived in the closet for several years.

She was only asking $ 40 USD with a solid case.  I gave more as I did not want to feel guilty.

It is a great machine on which to type...but I like my SM7 a bit more.  That one feels a bit more rugged and faster.

Board footera