You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-4-2022 08:22:37  #41

Re: What Are You Typing On Today...?

Very nice, and one owner machine with a background story.

I have a 1970 SM9 and it is a solid machine. I have an Adler J3 in the pipeline and curious how it will compare to the Olympia. 

- Be kind 

11-4-2022 08:39:25  #42

My 1961 Triumph is a re-badged Adler J3, I believe.  I looked at both and went with the Triumph for its smooth & curvy package.

I think my Triumph feels most like my Olympia SM7 side-by-side. 

Only negative I can say about the Triumph is that it does not offer a touch-control feature.

11-4-2022 17:43:11  #43

I too would go for the curvy looks of the Triumph. 

- Be kind 

11-4-2022 18:25:03  #44

Adler did have their version of the curvy one, as well.

Here is an example of one running on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/294904664093?hash=item44a9b0101d:g:BngAAOSwhE5iOQ4z

12-4-2022 07:08:16  #45

Today on my desk...1961 Aztec 600 which is a German-made Rheinmettal KsT re-badged machine.

Two nice features about this portable include :

1.  Carriage lifts off-on with 2 simple metal levers.
2.  Special metal lever on the left side of the ribbon vibrator allows you to easily lift off a type-slug lever for cleaning and polishing.

This machine came to my home all one solid green colour, which seemed bland to me and a bit to Iron Curtain to me.

So I used an ivory/cream colour in a satin-finish to make it a bit of a 2-tone machine.

It types very precisely & accurately and lets me type away very quickly.

12-4-2022 08:37:29  #46

Another beauty Pete. I was unfamiliar with the brand but I like your 2-tone upgrade. I would like to line up all your machines on a long table and go down the line typing a few lines on each. Typing feel is so hard to describe, it might make an interesting thread to toss around adjectives. When I visit TWDB galleries I'm always looking for comments about the typing and I skip the gallery members who never leave any. 

- Be kind 

12-4-2022 08:41:51  #47

.... and about TWDB gallery threads, Thanks Uwe for always taking the time to write something amusing.

- Be kind 

12-4-2022 12:27:28  #48

Mikeytap,

I purposely did not do all the upper metal in the ivory-cream colour.

The original factory 2-tones have all the upper metal painted in that "upper" colour scheme and I did not want my machine, in the future, to be thought of as being a factory original paint scheme.

This other Aztec 600 colour scheme is the one I was looking for...but never ran across one at the right price.  But it is a beauty.

p.s.  There is also an Aztec 500 and an Aztec 700...but those are re-badged Erika machines and not a Rheinmettal re-badge as the Aztec 600 is.

12-4-2022 12:31:19  #49

Mikeytap,

I describe typing on  my Hermes 3000 as typing on a machine that must have a layer of Jello in the linkages, somewhere. 

I find it has a bit of "vagueness" to the feel. It took me a better part of a year to settle-in using my Hermes.

13-4-2022 07:31:59  #50

Today's machine...my 1966 Olympia SF.

Got it at a SGW in So. SF-CA and it has a previous owner name of "Mike Nagler" on the case front.

I was able to locate a retired professor from Univ. of Berkeley and his current address and typed & mailed him a note asking if this might have been one of his old machines from the past.  I typed my note and envelop on this typewriter.

He did reply and unfortunately it was not his old machine.  He goes by "Michael" and never "Mike".

I feel the Olympia SF and the Olympia Traveller in my collection are the best of the "ultra-portables" which I own.  They are the heaviest and feel more like a portable when I use them.

This SF weighs in at 9.8 lbs. without its case weight.

It was a noisy machine with lots of metallic tones when used.  I added peel & stick felt under the ribbon cover, along the side panels, and along the interior of the bottom pan (but not under the key-tops).  I also added some wrap-on felt on the contact points for the space bar.

It changed the tones from tinny, metallic rattling to the sound of a log being used as a drum.  Much more pleasant to my ears.

Board footera