You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

14-4-2022 10:59:45  #1

Royal KH decimal tabulator now in the stable

This one just followed me home: Royal KH, KH12-1669506. Followed me home as in a kid put it on FB for $30 yesterday and took $20 for it just now
I have so many questions! I think this ss# dates it to 1934 -- so now officially older than my 1935 Remington Model No. 5, the new grandpa -- but why is it gray? I understood sometimes these machines would be refurbished and repainted -- but would it sill have such original-looking decals? The few on TDB are all black. Also the touch selector indicator on the right side is either missing or was never there -- and no glass or plastic panel, just metal with the slot.
I can do more research of course but would love your thoughts! Two keys feel not hooked up and the platen needs to be reset the the line selector, but the spool mechanism (original spools) works great and the pica letters are quite clear. Amazing how these things survive.

https://imgur.com/O4xQ93j
https://imgur.com/6H8dwg3
https://imgur.com/XYgQjZI

14-4-2022 15:57:36  #2

Re: Royal KH decimal tabulator now in the stable

The gray crinkle finish is indicative of a factory reconditioned model, and as such you can expect there to be differences between it (in terms of parts) and an original model from the '30s. Unless my memory of Royal standards is slipping, the KH(M) never had glass panels like the Royal 10 - and I don't recall off-hand if the touch selector was a feature that was added in subsequent model years. Did you pop off the panel to see if the indicator is behind it?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-4-2022 20:44:22  #3

Thanks Uwe -- that would explain it! There is a touch adjustment knob at the bottom center of the back, below what I would think was the bell guard except the bell is to the side on this one. SO there is a knob but I have not yet discerned whether there's anything going on where the indicator would be -- it has the curved slot where it would be, but in the metal (as you said, no glass or plastic), and there's nothing to be seen in it. It's at the office for the long weekend I think; I'll inspect and report back. Appreciate your know how!

15-4-2022 10:23:36  #4

Uwe wrote:

Unless my memory of Royal standards is slipping, the KH(M) never had glass panels like the Royal 10

The early KH models had black glass side panels. There was a brief period in the mid-30's, just before the KHM, that the H, KH, and maybe some later 10's, had black glass side panels.

15-4-2022 13:48:09  #5

Good to know. So you're saying that the OP's '34 model would originally have had glass panels?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

15-4-2022 17:06:47  #6

Uwe wrote:

Good to know. So you're saying that the OP's '34 model would originally have had glass panels?

Yes. His being a 1934 KH, I believe it would have originally had black glass side panels. His machine looks like it has the plated carriage end pieces and the plated piece on the lower front of the carriage (instead of black), which were also seen on the H's and KH's during this brief period when the machines came with black glass side panels.

17-4-2022 03:16:27  #7

Thank you! Can’t wait too see how it cleans up. Have not had time to really touch it yet. Plus it has the extra long carriage which is less deisrable to me as a typer but interesting. Common in decimal tabulator models?

20-4-2022 18:21:32  #8

OP here -- So looks like I have two non-functioning keys that I trace to missing the shortish wire piece that connects the slug to the long piece that goes into the machine from the keytop. (I apologize for not knowing all the terms yet.) They are the "a" -- pretty crucial -- and the "@ / cents" key (not very). Still, I would like them to work, so this is now my repair task: either forming new bits -- pretty straightforward I think -- or scavenging them from a parts machine.
I may post photos tomorrow (it is at the office). But in the meantime, would you suspect the KH is close enough to the KMM to use the latter as a parts machine for it? i.e., these parts? Just considering my options -- though again, such a nondescript part I should be able to just handbend myself out of some wire.

Board footera