You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-4-2022 22:56:54  #1

Platen surface experiments using a Corona 4

The Corona 4 has a hard platen that will eventually be sent to JJ Short for resurfacing. In the interim I've decided to try various suggestions I've read online to gain first hand experience for future reference.

This is the sequence of the experiments.

1) The original platen was cleaned with soft scrub, sanded on the lathe with 320 sandpaper then rubbed with DOT 3 brake fluid which was left on the surface for about 3 hours. After drying overnight it went back in the machine. The result was a still hard platen with plenty of grip to easily load paper. Typing with 2 or three backing sheets worked pretty well. I'm new to typewriters so assumed the noise level was normal for a hard platen.

2) Avery 73601 was substituted for the 2 or 3 sheets of copy paper as a backing sheet. The resulting type was sharper and the noise was noticeably reduced. This is a pretty easy and very cheap improvement for a hard platen. I doubt it gives the full effect of a new platen but the results would satisfy me were it not for curiosity about the other options.

3) I turned about 0.050" off the diameter of the platen, quite easy when they are hard because it machines like PVC pipe at that point. The platen was covered with a section of bicycle inner tube turned inside out then put back in the lathe for sanding with 320 grit to get rid of the small bumps caused by mold ridges in the tube and to restore the original diameter. The result is a (too?) grippy platen that feels nice to the hand but as suspected is a bit too soft. Adjusting the paper is a challenge and the impression left with no backing sheet is a little thick in appearance. The noise level dropped considerably. Using 1 or 2 sheets of paper for a backer helps too. Personally I'd go with the Avery 73601 on a DOT 3 treated platen and forget about the inner tube. 

4) Next I'll remove the inner tube and replace it with a layer of heatshrink. For the sake of being thorough I may then try two layers of heatshrink. The next experiment would be one layer of inner tube covered by one layer of heatshrink. I might as well see what I like and what I don't as the biggest cost is my time. 

5) Concurrent with #4 is the most extreme test. I'm building a new platen using aluminum tube covered with PVC tubing, perhaps I'll call it the "Supercharged" platen. ;-)  I don't want to strip the original platen down to the core just yet to "Turbo" it so this seemed like the next best option. The platen on the Corona 4 is a pretty simple thing to replicate. I'm quite curious to see how the result performs. I've got the PVC installed on the aluminum core and right end plug is finished. Tomorrow I'll be able to do some test typing on the surface as the only feature missing will be line spacing. I'll turn the platen by hand to go to the next line. It won't be consistent but I'll be able to see how it grips, what the type look like, how it feels and whether it is quiet. I won't be able to measure the return speed of the typebars though. ;-) I don't own a durometer so I won't know the hardness. I can tell you it is considerably softer than the original. It also looks pretty cool. Doing the same thing with a wood core would be equally simple and might offer some different properties.

Thanks for reading.

Brent             

20-4-2022 09:39:46  #2

Re: Platen surface experiments using a Corona 4

The new experimental platen is temporarily installed. The only limitation of the temporary status is the platen knobs are not linked to the platen. Feeding a sheet of paper or reversing the feed has to be done by holding the platen surface itself. The carriage return lever and line spacing do work.

Here are my current thoughts and a typing sample replete with typical for me typographical errors. 

Finishing those details will restore all the original functionality of the knobs. I'm going to do a second core using wood in place of the aluminum to test the effects. The original platen still has a few tests to go through as detailed in the earlier post before being sent out for new rubber.

Thanks for reading.
Brent 

20-4-2022 10:15:11  #3

I gave up on any platen home remedies after I sent my TP-1 platen to JJ Short. If the platen is Shore 98 or harder then I'll send it off eventually. Same goes if the platen is cracked anywhere. I tried all the tricks on my Oliver No. 9 platen and while it can type, it's just not right, so it's going to JJ one of these days. If all this stuff works for you, that's great, but if the eventual path will be a new platen, then it's just spinning wheels for the sake of spinning wheels, in my opinion.  I figure I have better things to do with my time, including type on a machine that has a new platen (of which I have three at the moment.) 

Phil Forrest

20-4-2022 10:47:50  #4

Phil,

Thanks for the observations. Did your home remedies include using PVC tubing? I haven't yet encountered many people who have actually typed on the material so I'd love to hear about your experiences with it. What limitations did you find? I'm at the beginning stages so I haven't encountered them yet but I may soon.

As for me, I love to tinker in the shop. Just as some people would spin their wheels cooking a meal at home when they could eat at a restaurant, I'll build stuff if I can.

If the results work out in the near term as well as this early test indicates I cold save several hundred dollars on a half dozen machines over the cost of sending platens out to be done. The time and material cost to reskin the Corona 4 platen now that I have done one would be quite favorable in terms of dollars saved per hour. 

Take care,
Brent

20-4-2022 11:24:44  #5

All the Coronas I have are loud. I had the one on my 73 Sterling redone by JJ and if that made it any quieter, I sure couldn't tell.

I recently soft-scrubbed my 53ish QDL and soaked it in brake fluid about an hour, but it still doesn't feed paper properly. Not sure whats going on there. One of the feed rollers might actually be swollen or something because it seems to catch on something

20-4-2022 11:54:20  #6

"it" being the paper

20-4-2022 12:43:04  #7

It looks pretty good to me. There are no holes punched in the paper, the type is clean, and you have options like using some kind of filling in the cylinder to dampen the noise/absorb the vibrations. I’d say onwards, comrade!

20-4-2022 13:24:57  #8

overwood,

Fortunately the feed rollers on the Corona 4 are readily accessible. Paper would catch when being fed after cleaning the original platen. The cause was a D shaped front feed roller. The back of the D was against the platen and had a small lip at its base that would catch the incoming paper edge. The rubber was crumbly  and easily removed by using pliers like an old nut cracker. The replacement was a piece of silicone tubing, in this instance fuel line intended for use on radio controlled models. Good luck with yours.

Take care,

Brent

20-4-2022 13:41:19  #9

Beachycove,

Any suggestions for sound/vibration dampening material? Soft wood, foam rubber, insulation foam are all at hand. It's not really an issue but there is no reason not to try as long as I'm here.

Take care,

Brent

22-4-2022 10:11:20  #10

Personally I'd try something like adhesive felt from a craft store but I havent done it so someone may have better ideas

Board footera