You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

21-4-2022 12:37:13  #1

Help identifying a mystery Underwood

Hello! I've been trying to identify my great-grandfather's typewriter for over a decade now with no success. I've checked databases and tried looking up the extremely odd serial number; thought I would finally ask some experts.

It's an Underwood (No 5?) with no model number on its front. Instead, it just reads “Special.” The front panel is colored a red/maroon/burgundy instead of black.

The oddest part about it is the serial number. I've included a picture of it as I'm not sure anyone would believe me otherwise. The serial number reads W, U, then two upside-down 2s, a poorly stamped 4, and a 3. Am I reading it wrong?

Any information would be helpful. Thanks!

21-4-2022 13:30:44  #2

Re: Help identifying a mystery Underwood

That is an Underwood No. 5 Western Union Special, introduced in 1912 under contract for the Western Union Telegraph Company as part of Western Union's plan to do away with pen-written telegrams.

21-4-2022 13:43:28  #3

There are currently no serial lists for the Western Union Specials, but from shift lock style on your machine, and the font style of the serial stamp, yours was made no later than 1915.

21-4-2022 13:56:12  #4

21-4-2022 15:38:14  #5

That was quick and amazing. Thank you!

21-4-2022 21:06:04  #6

You are very welcome. Underwood No. 5 Western Union Specials are cool machines. They type in an all-caps mill typeface and were used to type telegrams like this:

Board footera