You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

24-5-2022 19:56:27  #1

Royal Quiet De Luxe Carriage return lever

I own a Royal Quiet De Luxe (I believe it is a 1950 or 51). Built like a tank and types like a charm, however, the carriage return lever is loose. The machine types fine and the carriage return lever works fine in terms of regular typing.  Carriage returns all the way and line spacing if fine. The problem is, when it returns to the start position it doesn't spring back. I have to move it all the way to the left manually and then start typing. Can someone describe how to replace this spring or show a picture of where this spring should be located? I am very new to mending typewriters, but I have no choice but to try and repair it myself.  The nearest typewriter repair shop is hundreds of kilometers away.  If I could see where it is supposed to go then I can try and replace it myself. 

25-5-2022 07:45:17  #2

Re: Royal Quiet De Luxe Carriage return lever

Rusty,

Page 11 of this repair manual might be of some help to you.  Manual says it's for a 1955...but things may not have changed much from 1950-51.

https://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/Royal1955.pdf

25-5-2022 07:55:43  #3

Rusty,

On my 1947 Royal QDL, it looks like I would have to remove my left-side carriage knob and the left-side metal end-plate to be able to access the spring location. 

Hopefully your spring has just come loose on one end...but if the spring is missing, you might try McMaster-Carr on-line and look for "extension springs".

25-5-2022 19:17:37  #4

Thanks very much @Pete E.  I will let you know when my repairs are finished.  Still waiting for my extension springs to arrive.

10-6-2022 17:22:28  #5

Extension springs arrived. It was a relatively simple repair, a spring had gone AWOL. Found one in the box that fit. Works like a charm now. The only problem with this repair was my eyesight...I need stronger glasses. 

10-6-2022 20:25:10  #6

Hi Rusty,

Glad you were able to sort it out.

My wife has a pair of these jeweller's magnifying glasses which she lets me borrow from time-to-time.  She uses them when making jewelry.

10-6-2022 20:27:27  #7

And when I just need more light in the right place...I use this "head-light" I got off of eBay.

Best $ 35 USD I have spent in years.  Battery is USB re-chargeable and goes for 6-8 hours at a time.

12-6-2022 04:27:03  #8

I have a large magnifying glass and lamp on a swivel mount that helps, but the LED headlamp would be a good investment.

Board footera