You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

03-6-2022 13:24:17  #11

Re: Do ALL Smith Corona Portables sound like a 22 pistol?

and New Yorkers, I guess

03-6-2022 16:05:23  #12

I used the luger reference some months ago, because it's a common discussion among WWII history buffs that the Luger was a precision instrument built to close tolerances, but that also resulting in it being more prone to jamming. If you're keeping track of gun references please don't assume any love on my part for guns in general. 

- Be kind 

03-6-2022 16:21:08  #13

I love David Sedaris' writing. His book "Me Talk Pretty One Day" was pretty much the only reason I smiled during the latter half of 2004, when I was in the Navy and deployed to Fallujah, Iraq.

Here's a bit from that book on typewriters and the noise they make:

David Sedaris, Me Talk Pretty One Day. Little, Brown and Company. 2000 wrote:

When forced to leave my house for an extended period of time, I take my typewriter with me, and together we endure the wretchedness of passing through the X-ray scanner.  The laptops roll merrily down the belt, while I’m instructed to stand aside and open my bag.  To me it seems like a normal enough thing to be carrying, but the typewriter’s declining popularity arouses suspicion and I wind up eliciting the sort of reaction one might expect when traveling with a cannon.

“It’s a typewriter,” I say. “You use it to write angry letters to airport authorities.

The keys are then slapped and pounded, and I’m forced to explain that if you want the words to appear, you first have to plug it in and insert a sheet of paper.

The goons shake their heads and tell me I really should be using a computer.  That’s their job, to stand around in an ill-fitting uniform and tell you how you should lead your life.  I’m told the exact same thing later in the evening when the bellhop knocks on my hotel door.  The people whose televisions I can hear have complained about my typing, and he has come to make me stop.  To hear him talk, you’d think I’d been playing the kettledrum.  In the great scheme of things, the typewriter is not nearly as loud as he makes it out to be, but there’s no use arguing with him. 

“You know,” he says, “you really should be using a computer.”

Phil Forrest

03-6-2022 17:08:53  #14

mikeytap wrote:

I used the luger reference some months ago, because it's a common discussion among WWII history buffs that the Luger was a precision instrument built to close tolerances, but that also resulting in it being more prone to jamming. If you're keeping track of gun references please don't assume any love on my part for guns in general. 

Oh, I'm with you, mikeytap. I even thought it was an apt comparison. It's just that it struck me as a reference that wouldn't resonate with many people; there was an earlier comparison claiming an Olivetti was smooth like a Ferrari and I'm thinkin', "Jeez, I never even heard a Ferrari much less even sat in one or drove one, so what does this tell me about an Olivetti?"

No, I'm not keeping track. I do read TT, a lot and it just struck me that so many people said they couldn't relate to the sound of a .22 handgun (why not a long gun? because of the earlier pistols?) and one commenter even added ".22 LR" which the OP didn't mention. (For those missing that reference, the LR means "long rifle", the larger, hence louder, .22 cartridge.) So, although not keeping track, the mention stood out.

Truly assumed nothing about your enthusiasms. From my comments, you might have thought I know something about guns and you'd be right. The main reason I don't have any is that I can't afford yet another hobby. Typewriters is a rich and satisfying enough field. I'm glad to meet folks like you through it.

03-6-2022 19:25:06  #15

I spent over 12 years collecting not only German Lugers but Swiss-made Lugers as well.  And matched them up, where I could, with a period-correct holster.

I sold off my collection when we retired and moved.  It helped us be able to pay cash for our retirement home.

I love how affordable collecting typewriters can be.

In Luger pistols, you can routinely spend $ 2,000 to over $ 8,000 on just a single, nice & rare pistol.

03-6-2022 20:35:33  #16

How my recent post turned into an icky block of text is disappointing. 
I should have put it on a typewriter...

Phil Forrest

04-6-2022 09:38:10  #17

Phil_F_NM wrote:

I should have put it on a typewriter...

Phil Forrest

Use the Preview function to help you tweak it before Submitting.

04-6-2022 11:19:59  #18

Phil_F_NM wrote:

I couldn't stand to see you disappointed, so I removed enough of the ickiness to hopefully see your frown turn upside down. 

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

04-6-2022 13:01:01  #19

Thanks Uwe! I'll use preview from now on to make sure the extra HTML bits don't interfere with the actual text.

As for the firearms comparisons, I've noticed that folks who collect and use (or simply collect) firearms are often those who also enjoy collecting and using mechanical cameras, fountain pens, old bicycles (usually made of steel), and automobiles with carburetors. ...and of course, typewriters.

Phil Forrest

04-6-2022 13:04:38  #20

As a noise comparison, once I get into a good typing rhythm with good technique, my Remington Noiseless Model 7 (sitting on a thick felt pad) reminds me of the constant "chunk, chunk, chunk, chunk, zzzzzzzzzzz, chunk, chunk..." sound of the teletype machine I used to use in the weather office onboard an aircraft carrier when I was in the Navy.

Phil Forrest

Board footera