You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-6-2022 09:36:32  #11

Re: where do all the typewriter going

Some good insights here, Guth. Thanks.

17-6-2022 11:46:31  #12

Guilty! If I were to graph the size of my collection over time, I think I'd find a sharp uptick the day I created an account on this forum. 

For me, sharing my machines online has not been a strong motivating factor (I had 10 machines for over a decade before looking for the typewriter community online). However, this forum has certainly exposed me to many more machines, which has gotten me looking for, and therefore purchasing, many more. I had not been looking at European makers at all before I came here. Now I've got 4, with another on its way, and more I'm on the hunt for. 

18-6-2022 08:43:48  #13

Uwe wrote:

overwood wrote:

... Is is just collectors driving up the price? ...

From my observations it's all about the middlemen out there who are trying to make a quick buck - and the collectors who are willing to pay them what they're asking who are a big part of the problem.
inflated prices to value their machines. Result? Average prices have skyrocketed.

I picked up a low cost Brother JP-1 variant from Salvation Army. I found a receipt in the case where it had previously been bought on Etsy for $250. So I'm guessing the previous owner had a passing fancy for typewriters.

- Be kind 

18-6-2022 09:51:45  #14

That's a surprising reversal and a key stroke of luck for you.. Another explanation for that situation could be that the owner (the Etsy buyer) had passed away, and the spouse (or person responsible for clearing contents) was happy to quickly get rid of the machine(s) by donating it to Sally Ann. It's likely that they were completely unaware - or didn't care - what the Etsy purchaser had paid for it.

I only propose this alternative history because I know what terrible fate awaits my collection should I unexpectedly travel to that undiscovered country and my wife has to deal with the flotsam that defined my hobbies.  

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

18-6-2022 11:34:35  #15

Uwe wrote:

Another explanation for that situation could be that the owner (the Etsy buyer) had passed away, 

That was my first thought too. But from the invoice, I did a search and found him to be a real estate agent very much alive, and living in a nearby state. 

But, yes, I too wonder about my collected things and how they might be dealt with after I'm struck by lightening, I should keep better records.

- Be kind 

18-6-2022 15:03:42  #16

mikeytap wrote:

I picked up a low cost Brother JP-1 variant from Salvation Army. I found a receipt in the case where it had previously been bought on Etsy for $250. So I'm guessing the previous owner had a passing fancy for typewriters.

What was the date on that receipt? How long had he had it?

18-6-2022 16:53:04  #17

M. Höhne wrote:

mikeytap wrote:

What was the date on that receipt? How long had he had it?

M. Hohne, I don't remember but wasn't an ancient receipt. I'm not at home right now where I can dig out the case that I put it in.  

- Be kind 

Board footera