You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

17-6-2022 06:27:36  #1

How do you display/store/cover your typewriters?

I own 5 typewriters.  I store one in its case (Oliver Courier Eatons), one on a small table (Royal Quiet De Luxe) with a cloth dust cover, one in a drawer in my desk (Olivetti Lettera 22) and two on shelves (Olympia Monica and Olympia SM7), both with cloth dust covers. I would like to store/display them open to the air, but I don't want them to collect dust. Dust covers for vintage typewriters seem rare. Computer printer dust covers are too big and ugly. How do you display, store/cover your typewriters?

17-6-2022 06:47:57  #2

Re: How do you display/store/cover your typewriters?

My wife sews covers for me on her vintage sewing machines (which we pick up and refurbish, together).

Here is a photo of the storage shelves I use (from Fleximounts) and some machines with dust covers on them...as she was making more covers for my growing collection.

We use cotton fabrics that go in the washer/dryer when then need a cleaning.

Some machines are stored in their cases, as well.

17-6-2022 11:28:30  #3

For dust covers, I use clear ones I purchased from mytypewriter.com.

06-7-2022 04:04:06  #4

I recently purchased a few lightweight cotton hand towels to use as covers for the four typewriters that I leave out of their cases on various tables or shelves. They fit the dimensions of a portable typewriter quite well. Every couple of weeks I can toss them in the laundry. An inexpensive,  non- plastic solution for dust covers.

13-7-2022 03:32:01  #5

While I do admire my typewriters, for me they are essentially tools so I tend to treat them as such. I keep all of my portable and ultra portable typewriters in their cases when I'm not using them. My one standard sized machine sits on my desk, always underneath it's cover when not in use. At any given time, I keep four of my portables sitting upright in their cases side by side on a small shelf in my office where I can easily access them. The remaining typewriters/cases are stored in another room where I have more shelving. I'll typically use one of the four typewriters residing in my office, choosing whichever one I most feel like using. Over time I will change up the four machines that I keep in my office, with the others being returned to the storage room. Of course the standard sized machine is always around for whenever I feel like using it, which happens quite a bit.

For quite some time I was managing to make good use out of all the typewriters I owned, but I have noticed for a while now that there are a few machines that I almost never use. (I am now at 21 typewriters after recently being gifted with another machine.) I will drag the unused typewriters out to exercise them on occasion, but I really need to focus on either selling them or getting them into the hands of others who don't have a typewriter. Prior to being gifted typewriter #21 it had been about nine months since I last bought a typewriter so acquisition has basically come to an end for me, along with the need for any more storage space dedicated to these machines. I haven't bought a typewriter in quite a while because I basically stopped looking for them — I've always considered myself more of an enthusiast than a collector when it comes to typewriters. That said, I realize there is always the possibility that I could stumble upon yet another machine I would want to bring home with me. In which case freeing up some space beforehand would be beneficial.

Ideally I would narrow things down to just 5 machines (4 portables residing on my small office shelf along with the one standard machine), but in all honesty, unless I was forced to do so, I would have a hard time with this. On the other hand, I think a dozen typewriters would be doable in my case and worth shooting for as an exercise in downsizing my arsenal of writing machines to only those I most enjoy using. As a bonus, this wouldn't require anything more of me when it comes to storage space.

13-7-2022 12:47:47  #6

Guth wrote:

While I do admire my typewriters, for me they are essentially tools so I tend to treat them as such. I keep all of my portable and ultra portable typewriters in their cases when I'm not using them. My one standard sized machine sits on my desk, always underneath it's cover when not in use.

I have very little space to display my machines. Like Guth mentioned I acquired them to write with. The ones I use all the time are sitting on rolling typing tables and covered with either plastic covers or towels.  

When it comes to my interests it usually takes me a lot of trial-and-error sampling before I discover what works the best. A number of years ago I decided my handwriting had become atrocious. As I began working on it my I chose to use fountain pens. Make note that pens is plural. Not having written with one for something like forty years I wasn’t sure what to get, so I got more than one. Discovering what modern pen worked best for me I ended up in possession of a lot of lovely pens that didn’t work. Once I did discover the best pen shapes for me I could stop buying more. Sadly hand problems had me writing less and less. Then, about a year ago my neighbor showed me his typewriters. As a young fellow I had loved typing instead of handwriting. Well one thing led to another and I bought an Olympia SM4 at an antique shop in Canby. I soon found other sources of typewriters, both manual and electric. I now have nine various Olympias, two Hermes and one Smith-Corona. Like I did with fountain pens it took a while to discover a machine to do most of my writing with; an Olympia SG1. It sits on a rolling typing table next to me that hasn’t moved from this spot since last winter. I have two other typing tables holding my other favorites that I roll over to my work area as needed. 

What to do with the machines that seldom get more than a brief visit to the desk and then put back. I had a similar dilemma with my unused fountain pens. Having spent countless hours acquiring and writing with them it was not easy to part with them even though I couldn’t use them. Earlier this year I sold a number of them to Oblation Papers for their nearly new listing. I was very resistant to selling the rest but knew they needed a new home. I finally asked a friend for help and they nearly all sold in no time. I now only keep three nearly perfect (for me) pens inked on my writing desk. 

Perhaps it will be similar with my typewriters. I think I need to ‘moth-ball’ at least four of them since they are duplicates in case parts are needed. If I sell the one or two others that never get used rotating through the remainder will be much easier. 

George

14-7-2022 04:26:15  #7

fountainpensplus wrote:

Then, about a year ago my neighbor showed me his typewriters. As a young fellow I had loved typing instead of handwriting. Well one thing led to another and I bought an Olympia SM4 at an antique shop in Canby.

Was that by chance the typewriter booth at Red Door Antiques? If so, that is where I bought my first typewriter. I ended up exchanging quite a few emails with the owner Dianne after buying that machine. She is an incredibly nice person, who along with her husband have been collecting typewriters for many years. Their booth is a great resource for those wanting to try a number of different machines. For me it proved to be the perfect place to buy my first typewriter as I was able to get a good feel for the differences between almost a dozen different machines that I tried that day. I haven't been there in quite some time now, but I'll no doubt visit again whenever I next find myself passing through Canby.

14-7-2022 06:48:20  #8

Here is the couple's web site who also provide machines out of the Red Door Antiques store in Canby, OR :

https://thetypewriternook.com/

14-7-2022 10:13:35  #9

Yes! The Red Door Antiques and Resale store was my first buying experience. There is nothing like it in Eugene. Canby is a 90 minute drive for me and I got there soon after opening. There were at least a dozen machines displayed that day but looking for a machine without sharp, angular lines gave me four or five to try. The green Olympia SM4 wanted me to take it home so I did. I’m also sure it’s a good thing they are not closer because I would be getting my ‘frequent buyer’ card rapidly filled. Right now they have a very nice looking SG3 listed and if I didn’t already have two I’d be heading there now.

14-7-2022 14:51:50  #10

I know all pricing is relative...but these are some pretty decent & fair prices for resale typewriters.

Board footera