You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12-7-2014 08:36:02  #1

Is this remington rand complete?

I found this remington and I like it because of it's history. It was a Navy Typewriter. But are there pieces missing? It seems like it might be missing a cover. or caps over the round spots on the front. (I'm sorry, I'm very new to the typewriter world and don't know a lot yet)

If so, is the cover needed for it to be operational?
And does anyone know what this model is?
thanks!

[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2NlgxNjAw/z/jc8AAOxyItRTd6W6/$_57.JPG?rt=nc[/img][img]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2NlgxNjAw/z/4t0AAOxy7vJTd6Ww/$_57.JPG?rt=nc[/img][img]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2NlgxNjAw/z/KoAAAOxyNThTd6XM/$_57.JPG[/img][img]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTA2NlgxNjAw/z/JycAAOxyNThTd6Wf/$_57.JPG?rt=nc[/img]

Last edited by comma (12-7-2014 18:34:04)

13-7-2014 16:36:51  #2

Re: Is this remington rand complete?

It looks like a Remington 17.  You are missing a cast aluminium cover which clips over the top of the ribbon spools, and the right hand spool top (like the left one which is present).  The machine will work fine without the cast cover, and you will probably get away without the spool top as well, although keep an eye on the ribbon as you are typing, because without the spools top it might start to ride up on the spool.  My guess is that the spool top went missing, so the last owner took the cast cover off so as to keep an eye on the ribbon - then lost the cast cover as well !

13-7-2014 16:38:20  #3

thetypewriterman wrote:

It looks like a Remington 17. You are missing a cast aluminium cover which clips over the top of the ribbon spools, and the right hand spool top (like the left one which is present). The machine will work fine without the cast cover, and you will probably get away without the spool top as well, although keep an eye on the ribbon as you are typing, because without the spools top it might start to ride up on the spool. My guess is that the spool top went missing, so the last owner took the cast cover off so as to keep an eye on the ribbon - then lost the cast cover as well !

Thanks so much!

13-7-2014 22:05:46  #4

thetypewriterman wrote:

You are missing a cast aluminium cover

On both the 17 and 17 KMC I own they're made of steel; did export machines use aluminum instead?

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-7-2014 16:56:23  #5

You might be right about the 17, they are not too common now so I cannot say for sure.  I'm pretty certain that the KMCs that I have seen here in England had cast top plates (spool covers), and definitely the SJ Super Riter does.  Aluminuium was in abundant supply here in England after the war, whilst steel was still rationed, so that may be the explanation.

14-7-2014 16:56:38  #6

Everything I can find, the Model 17s say "Model Seventeen" in the same place that the pictures I attached say "Remington Rand".
Any other models this could be? These are the only pics I currently have.

14-7-2014 23:37:15  #7

comma wrote:

Everything I can find, the Model 17s say "Model Seventeen" in the same place that the pictures I attached say "Remington Rand".
Any other models this could be? These are the only pics I currently have.

I believe the Model 17 was labelled in one of at least three different ways depending on the year it was manufactured, and like many big standards, the model decal was usually the first to get rubbed off the machine. My KMC is missing its model label, but my 17 has the model number on both sides of the front panel (see photo). The one in your photos looks to be a late model machine, which I think might have had the model decal on the keyboard guard.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

14-7-2014 23:41:34  #8

thetypewriterman wrote:

Aluminuium was in abundant supply here in England after the war, whilst steel was still rationed, so that may be the explanation.

Sounds like a very good explanation. I know that some of my Quiet-Riters from the '50s (along with several other models) were manufactured in England, but I didn't realise that Remington were manufacturing typewriters there much earlier than that. I obviously need to brush up on the company's history! 

15-7-2014 09:23:14  #9

Thanks guys! I'm hopefully going to buy it and then I'll know a lot more.
Are parts like the covers available anywhere to buy as replacements?

15-7-2014 15:12:20  #10

comma wrote:

Are parts like the covers available anywhere to buy as replacements?

Replacement ribbon covers? Not that I'm aware of. Essentially you'd have to buy a parts machine and use the ribbon cover from it, but then again given the condition of the Remingrton in your photos, I'd describe it as a parts machine. Are you sure you want to buy that thing? If so, I hope you're getting it dirt cheap because it looks pretty rough and who knows what mechanical faults it might have. I hope it works out in your favour.

Board footera