You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-7-2022 19:43:46  #1

Review of my new typewriter!

My new typewriter arrived recently. It is a ___ ___ ___, a fine model made by ___in ______.  It was well-packaged and arrived undamaged despite FedEx somehow managing to gouge a giant rip in one of the numerous bright red "FRAGILE" stickers.  As you must imagine, it is in immaculate condition. Except for one tiny scuff that I'll bet you can't even see, I honestly don't think it has ever been used. There is not a speck of dust in it. The slugs are clean. It's not as stylish as earlier machines but it has the snappiest feel of any of the manufacturer's earlier typewriter models that I've tried. And it does have a very clean modern look with creamy body and dark keys.

After several years of buying typewriters, I now know what a platen should feel like. Wait, you mean they are rubber and not slate?

The type is perfect and crisp, it is solid, well made, compact and light with a slim and durable case. Its perfect for travel. It has the valuable and sought after _____ feature, not found on many models that are more expensive. Absolutely everything works, and I couldn't be more pleased with it. The price was under 10 dollars and hopefully my review will help it stay that way. 

02-7-2022 10:16:07  #2

Re: Review of my new typewriter!

Someone made a t-shirt to go along with your new typewriter review:
[img]https://liveview.printerval.com/image/1000x1000/t-shirts-men-heavyweight-t-shirt,black,sprv1-1037219383,2d2d2d.jpeg[/img]

I'm glad to see you worked in the "snappy" descriptor for the type action. No review would be complete without it.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

02-7-2022 11:43:42  #3

overwood wrote:

My new typewriter arrived recently. It is a ___ ___ ___, a fine model made by ___in ______.  It was well-packaged and arrived undamaged despite FedEx somehow managing to gouge a giant rip in one of the numerous bright red "FRAGILE" stickers.  As you must imagine, it is in immaculate condition. Except for one tiny scuff that I'll bet you can't even see, I honestly don't think it has ever been used. There is not a speck of dust in it. The slugs are clean. It's not as stylish as earlier machines but it has the snappiest feel of any of the manufacturer's earlier typewriter models that I've tried. And it does have a very clean modern look with creamy body and dark keys.

After several years of buying typewriters, I now know what a platen should feel like. Wait, you mean they are rubber and not slate?

The type is perfect and crisp, it is solid, well made, compact and light with a slim and durable case. Its perfect for travel. It has the valuable and sought after _____ feature, not found on many models that are more expensive. Absolutely everything works, and I couldn't be more pleased with it. The price was under 10 dollars and hopefully my review will help it stay that way. 

hahaha. I missed the snark on my first read but Uwe brought it all home. 

- Be kind 

02-7-2022 11:55:01  #4

Sitting on my hands...waiting for the reveal. 

02-7-2022 12:19:14  #5

It sounds like an Olympia Traveller to me !

02-7-2022 21:12:21  #6

If the " the valuable and sought after _____ feature " is a Tabulator, which I thought, but then the Olympia Traveller did not have a Tabulator.

03-7-2022 04:55:39  #7

The later (Yugoslavian-made) Travellers did indeed have a tabulator, albeit a pre-set one stopping every 10 spaces.  Never as good as a full tabulator, but better than not at all !

03-7-2022 07:15:21  #8

Thanks, Tom...did not know the Yugo-Traveller had it.

My 197x's Olympa 3 (Traveller-like) which was made in Japan had the fixed Tabulator, as well.

Its back panel is styled more like those on the Olivetti 22/32.

04-7-2022 04:14:41  #9

As far as I know, these Nakajima 'Travellers' were never sold in the UK.  To the uninitiated non-typewriter person, you could take these to be the same machine.  Very interesting to see a good picture of one !

04-7-2022 12:23:37  #10

Pete E. wrote:

Sitting on my hands...waiting for the reveal. 

Oh you don't get it, do you? There will be no reveal. Doing my part to keep prices down for poor people like myself.

Board footera