You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

30-7-2022 22:43:42  #1

Olympia SF adjustments

I don't have a service manual for Olympias, and some questions came up while cleaning out and adjusting my sf:

1) What's the distance from the platen supposed to be for the escapement trip point? On mine, it trips about 1/8" from the platen, which is really late compared to my US machines. Not sure if that's typical for this model.

2) Anyone know the spec for the distance of the type slug from platen for ring & cylinder adjustment? (Of course, I could just play it by eye and use the impression as reference, but I like to know the intended spec). 

3) The key feel seems very heavy and thick, requiring a lot of force; not at all as snappy as my SM3. This is the case even on the lightest touch control setting. Is this typical for this model? Watching the springs at work, it looks like the touch control spring doesn't quite engage at the lowest setting, and comes on strong at higher settings (so it looks adjusted correctly). The springs for each key seem to go between the upper key lever and the linkage arm, which means there's no common anchor point like on an SM3 where you can adjust the overall feel in one go.

4) Is there an easier way to adjust main spring tension other than adding or removing an extra loop of the drawband around the spool? Spring hooks make this manageable, but it's still really awkward. 

Thanks!

31-7-2022 10:58:17  #2

Re: Olympia SF adjustments

Rob,

For your Item # 3, you might check out this tip from member, Laurenz van Gaalen, on is web site.

Although written for the Traveller machines, it applied to my 1966 SF, as well.

https://www.laurenzvangaalen.nl/olympia-traveller/#heavy-touch-key-action

31-7-2022 11:02:42  #3

For your item No. 1, mine trips at or just a tad less than 1/8" away.  I type pretty fast and my machine has no problem keeping up with me.

31-7-2022 20:47:05  #4

Thanks, Pete! (And Laurentz). 

Moving the comb definitely helps. It definitely requires some finesse: it's tricky getting it light enough, while still having the key caps relatively level. Still, an improvement. I don't feel like I'm going to the finger gym...

Board footera