You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

01-9-2022 07:49:37  #21

Re: Electro-Mechanical Calculators

Is that also how you get the keys to sparkle?

01-9-2022 07:52:58  #22

Pete E. wrote:

Hermes calculating machine all cleaned up and serviced.

New metal spindle for the paper roll arrived from Switzerland. 

New metal ribbon spools are on the machine but the NOS ribbon is dry as the Mojave desert.  Will wind up some new silk typewriter, tomorrow, when the garage is cool in the morning.

Dang, that looks inviting. Those sculpted keys beg for calculations.

Weak. . .  but, I . . . must. . . resist. . . . temptation . . . to  . . . collect. . .

- Be kind 

01-9-2022 11:06:45  #23

Hi George,

Yes. I carefully popped off the key-tops and wiped them down with denatured alcohol and then a polish job with Flitz. 

On typewriters I leave the keys on and depress an adjacent pair of key with a cut-down wooden chop-stick...which leaves a key-top in the center very easy to clean and polish.  Takes some time to do so on a typewriter with so many key-tops, but they are glass-like smooth when done.

Hi Mike,

The Hermes Model 209-10 series is a bit narrower if desk space is an issue.  They go for pretty darn cheaply on eBay.

04-9-2022 09:18:16  #24

I admit it...I can easily get more excited about a case and the machine, inside, might just be a secondary consideration.

Should have it home in a week.  Supposedly it works/worked until too many keys were pushed at the same time.  I suspect a blown fuse.

Worse case, this case can cradle my Hermes calculating machine which is sans-a-case.

11-9-2022 15:03:36  #25

My Olivetti adding machine is the Model Summa Quanta 20.

I was able to find a 172-page service manual for this machine at this Archive site.

Its a User Manual for the machine as well.

https://ia803205.us.archive.org/19/items/olivetti-summa-quanta-20-service-manual/Olivetti_Summa_Quanta_20_Service_Manual.pdf

11-9-2022 16:26:05  #26

Your interest in adding machines nudged me to pick up one. Made for KF by Olympia, W. Germany says the sticker on the back. I installed a ribbon and everything works. I had to research what the symbols mean so I could find the total key.  This thing is huge to do such a small chore. But that's part of the charm. Now I have to go find some numbers to add.

- Be kind 

11-9-2022 17:54:55  #27

Mike,

That's a lovely machine.  Congratulations and I apologize ahead of time for getting you down another rabbit's hole.

Your machine seems to have identical body lines as that Olympia Model AM that arrived at my home DOA.  My machine was still made in W. Germany but I was shocked to see so many drive parts made out of plastic.  Figured my machine was from the late 1960's or early 1970's...when plastic was making its way into everything.  Its motor was burned out and several major plastic drive gears were crack with pieces of plastic at the bottom cover panel.

Seller had shown a User Manual for the AM...but it was not in the box when he shipped.  Figured he held it back to sell standalone since I won his auction with a bid of $ 1.98 USD.  I did not mind since I was really after that Olympia case.

11-9-2022 18:56:52  #28

Pete E. wrote:

Mike,

That's a lovely machine.  Congratulations and I apologize ahead of time for getting you down another rabbit's hole.

Your machine seems to have identical body lines as that Olympia Model AM that arrived at my home DOA.  My machine was still made in W. Germany but I was shocked to see so many drive parts made out of plastic.  Figured my machine was from the late 1960's or early 1970's...when plastic was making its way into everything.  Its motor was burned out and several major plastic drive gears were crack with pieces of plastic at the bottom cover panel.

Seller had shown a User Manual for the AM...but it was not in the box when he shipped.  Figured he held it back to sell standalone since I won his auction with a bid of $ 1.98 USD.  I did not mind since I was really after that Olympia case.

Yes when researching KP I could find very little, but the Olympia AM seemed like a close match. Lots of plastic indeed. I was dating it late 60s or early 70s. No case. 

RE: Rabbit hole: I've set a limit. But they're inexpensive and it's hard to resist acquiring a few as design pieces. 

- Be kind 

13-9-2022 19:04:16  #29

My Underwood-Olivetti (Model Summa Quanta 20) adding machine is all cleaned up and serviced i.e. (new grease in key places). Got new B/R silk ribbon on its original metal spools, too.

This one also does not have a belt but rather direct drive.  Its little AC induction motor has a capacitor, as well, for a start-up kick.  The "manual" version of this has a hand-crank and a flywheel and clutch in the exact place where my motor and capacitor are located.  Both made concurrently...so for customers with and without access to electricity.  Smart.

Case got a good cleaning and some of the interior panels got a repaint and glued back in place.

This is a fun and fast machine and pretty quiet when operating.

13-9-2022 20:51:22  #30

Oh my, that case! A beauty. I like the key layout and identifiers. Definitely love the tactile feel and sound using my "new" old mechanical machine. Funny thing, using mine to add up figures for a job invoice today, I didn't trust it and had to check it against my digital calculator. Surprise, it delivered the same totals. 

- Be kind 

Board footera