You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

26-8-2022 08:26:00  #11

Re: Thoughts on custom painting a typewriter

Not sure how to describe the action other than comfortable but not quite the springiness of the sm3. I can go pretty fast on it. I'm not up on the spring-assist action thing and how it works so I don't know if this has the feature.  It has a strange setup for the tabbing. Those additions on either side of the space bar, set and activate tabs. The manual says the "-" key on the right clears tabs but It doesn't seem to be clearing.  Another thing to address is the backspace key which is backspacing 2 spaces.

You're right that the Krylon fusion series/satin gives a good result. It lays on smooth. Funny how I have a new regard for this Optima because of the way it looks and I'm more likely to use it.  Cheers

- Be kind 

26-8-2022 10:46:40  #12

Mike,

1.  In this version of the user-manual, I think they have control index # 29 and # 31, reversed in the machine illustration.  The key on the right of the space bar is the "clear" and the key above the right-side Shift-key is the Tab activate key.

https://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/OptimaElite.pdf

2.  You might need to take body panels off to trace back the linkages from the Tab-clear key-top all the way back to the Tab bar along the back, upper panel...to see if some connection is not lined up to result in the Tab-clean plunger from pushing down a Tab stop back to its clear position.

3.  Back-space resulting in a shift of 2 spaces might mean the back=space lever at the escapement might be crudded up and the return pawl/lever is slow to come back in a timely fashion.  I would douse that with denatured alcohol and blow dry with compressed air to see if you can de-crud it.

4.  Regarding the spring-assist key-tops on the Olympia SM's :  you can hold the key-top lever with one hand (from under the machine) and press the key-top with the other hand/finer.  You will feel the key-top depress as the key-top spring is pushed down with the typing finger.  You can do the same with the Optima Elite to see if they have that similar feature.  For Olpympia, this was discontinued with the SM7, 8, and 9 machines.  It was also on the SG1 but I think were lost with the SG3.

26-8-2022 11:34:53  #13

All great information, thanks so much.

Pete E. wrote:

Mike,

1.  In this version of the user-manual, I think they have control index # 29 and # 31, reversed in the machine illustration.  The key on the right of the space bar is the "clear" and the key above the right-side Shift-key is the Tab activate key.

https://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/OptimaElite.pdf

2.  You might need to take body panels off to trace back the linkages from the Tab-clear key-top all the way back to the Tab bar along the back, upper panel...to see if some connection is not lined up to result in the Tab-clean plunger from pushing down a Tab stop back to its clear position.

3.  Back-space resulting in a shift of 2 spaces might mean the back=space lever at the escapement might be crudded up and the return pawl/lever is slow to come back in a timely fashion.  I would douse that with denatured alcohol and blow dry with compressed air to see if you can de-crud it.

4.  Regarding the spring-assist key-tops on the Olympia SM's :  you can hold the key-top lever with one hand (from under the machine) and press the key-top with the other hand/finer.  You will feel the key-top depress as the key-top spring is pushed down with the typing finger.  You can do the same with the Optima Elite to see if they have that similar feature.  For Olpympia, this was discontinued with the SM7, 8, and 9 machines.  It was also on the SG1 but I think were lost with the SG3.

- Be kind 

06-11-2022 14:44:54  #14

There is a nice re-finished and serviced machine running on eBay this week.  (Pretty expensive asking price, though.)

But the gold & silver repaint is done nicely and I, personally, think it looks good along with the color of the key-tops and platen knobs.

20-11-2022 01:36:10  #15

I have never seen someone dip a typewriter.  I feel like we should have seen more of that by now.  I usually take my body shells to an auto body shop and have paint professionally done.  I seem to be incapable of putting on a smooth coat of paint.  Paint is left well enough alone if it's in good shape, but I really want to do some metallic finishes.

Typewriter Service Tech (and avid nerd)

Board footera