You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

22-8-2022 10:44:33  #1

1959 Smith Corona 5TE - Electric Portable Issues...

Got this very decent 1959 S-C portable electric from SGW for about $ 100 USD.
After a through cleaning, two operational problems persisted.

1st. problem was the carriage did not move when any of the key-tops were struck.  Type slugs making contact with the platen...but the carriage was not moving to the next space.  Carriage did move with space-bar, back space, and Tab...

Looked underneath and using my manual 1957 S-C Silent Super as a guide..I found two metal links that were not meeting properly.  The aluminum colored bar in the vertical position was in front of the end of the black bar that it is supposed to transfer movement to.  The black bar was also bent so it was on the right side of the aluminum colored bar.  After a bit of trial and error with the position of both bars...it works perfectly now with the press of any key-top resulting in a platen strike and the carriage moving to the next space.

Photos, below, are of the lever bars in working positions after I re-formed the metal.

22-8-2022 10:54:34  #2

Re: 1959 Smith Corona 5TE - Electric Portable Issues...

2nd. problem was that the Tab set and Tab clear keys on the right side of the machine were not resulting in the clearing of an existing Tab stops or the establishment of any new Tab stops.

With the machine covers off, I could trace back from the key-tops all the linkages back to the Tab bar located in the hinged cover behind the paper tray.  I made sure all link connections were cleaned and not binding.

The vertical post in the center of the Tab bar worked properly raising to set a Tab stop and lowering to clear a Tab stop.  But they were not actually engaging the "teeth" of the Tab stop...but rather engaging in the space between each of the "teeth".

I noticed the entire Tab assembly was held in place at the bottom of its bracket with 2 screws seated in elongated screw holes in the bracket...which I figured allowed for some side-to-side placement of the Tab assembly mechanism.  Loosening both screws a bit allowed to to move the assembly to the point where it operated the "teeth" and not the space in between them.  Once I found the "sweet spot", both mounting screws were tightened up.

Tab-set and Tab-clear work perfectly now and even a Tab all-clear motion now works.

22-8-2022 10:58:14  #3

Waiting now for some new O-rings that will replace the very worn existing 2 small v-belts that are on their last leg...and a new B/R silk ribbon for its original metal spools. 

Then the covers will go back on and a final polishing up.

Case is in good working order but will probably get some patching and a new paint job. But will wait a few more weeks when our weather will cool down to the mid 70* F...perfect painting weather in my driveway.

22-8-2022 12:22:29  #4

Great detective work. Always satisfying when that happens. I probably would have thrown up my hands. I've been tempted to pick up one of those out of curiosity but I've run out of room. It's my understanding that they sold well so they must be good performers. As for O rings for drive belts, I've had some success cutting longer ones (Amazon) to size, ca gluing, then shrouding the joint with heat shrink tube.  1/16" width for my particular case on Olympia electric. But if you've sourced SC O-rings all the better.

- Be kind 

22-8-2022 13:53:06  #5

Hi Mike,

What amazed me is how those 2 metal levers under the machine go so bent out of shape.

I have been getting my o-rings from McMaster-Carr on-line.  I had a package left over from my Hermes 10 electric work but those are a bit too long for the S-C.

I have packages of the next 2 sizes smaller...one size of which will be perfect.  Once I know which size works, I will post it up here with the McC part number as a reference.  A bag of 50 o-rings runs about $ 12-15 a bag.  So I will have lots left over.  Might send some of Phoenix Typewriter as a surprise present.  Keeping maybe 2 more sets in the case for the future.

Some guy on eBay is selling 2 o-rings that work on this machine for $ 38 for the pair.

If any members on the forum need a pair, they can reach out to me via Message and I would be happy to send them for free in the US Mail.

22-8-2022 13:59:50  #6

Pete E. wrote:

Hi Mike,

What amazed me is how those 2 metal levers under the machine go so bent out of shape.
>>I'm not surprised. More often than not I've traced problems to something bent, rather than out of adjustment <<

I have been getting my o-rings from McMaster-Carr on-line.  I had a package left over from my Hermes 10 electric work but those are a bit too long for the S-C.
>>> sounds like a great resource, I'll make note. <<<

- Be kind 

22-8-2022 14:02:12  #7

p.s.

I have been after one of these SC 5TE's for some time now.  Crazy bidding has kept them out of reach for me.

And I have never run across one in my local hunting to flea markets, yard sales, thrift sores.

With my Olympia SEP and its electric type-bar activation but fully manual carriage and CR lever...I realized I like machines with both old-tech & new-tech on the same machine.

When I use my fully electric typewriters, it is not very satisfying pushing the "return" key and have the carriage jump like a mad-man across the width of the machine.  I always stress-out that something is sure to break any time soon, now.  Plus my left hand just feels left out.

22-8-2022 17:51:24  #8

Someone gave me a S.C. Corona Seventy recently. Like your 5TE, it's electric but still has the manual line return so you don't get that aggressive return. It holds some interest to me because of that.

Dropoffs: given to me this year by friends:
SC Corona Seventy electric, SC Coronet super 12 electric, SC Corsair, Royal Varsity 1939, Royal KH 1934, SC Corona 3, 1917. Fingers crossed that someone will drop off a Hermes 3000. I've gifted at least 4 in the last couple of months, just to make room. 

- Be kind 

24-8-2022 19:09:03  #9

McMaster-Carr o-rings were delievered today.

I tried two (2) different sizes and the best fit (snug but no too tight) are their "Dash No, 240", medium hardness, 70A Durometer, EPDM material. 

Nice and quiet and the type lever actions are very fast, now.

See dimensional info. below :

24-8-2022 19:38:11  #10

New O-ring belts in place...

Board footera