You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-8-2022 15:40:43  #21

Re: 1959 Smith Corona 5TE - Electric Portable Issues...

Hi Mike,

For things that I have penciled/penned on paper and then type a final, it is a bit slow...compared to my Olympia SGE-35 and the variant of my SGE-50 (SGE-A62).

I do find that I self-pace on the S-C 5TE so I do not over-run the machine.  Same with my manual Silent-Super.

With my Olympia electrics...I try to go as fast as I possibly can and the machine(s) look at me and seem to say..." Really...is that all you got ? "

28-8-2022 15:59:17  #22

Pete E. wrote:

Hi Mike,

With my Olympia electrics...I try to go as fast as I possibly can and the machine(s) look at me and seem to say..." Really...is that all you got ? "

hahaha. Takes a mental adjustment to go back to the manual. Typing slower makes me think through things.

- Be kind 

30-8-2022 07:01:30  #23

The only time I dipped back into the 1940's for a machine was for my 1947 Royal QDL.

It's a machine that is my slow-typing day machine.  I use it a lot to put thoughts and ideas down on paper for the first time.  Or slow, thoughtful typing.

Sadly, I have used it more recently with notes of condolences to surviving families when a loved one passes.  Color of the machine is befitting.

31-8-2022 10:15:16  #24

My last bit of work on the S-C 5TE was some paint touch-ups.

The seafoam green (or cypress green) color took a bit of custom mixing and a bit of trial & error to get it just right.

I used these two flat, acrylic paints I get from Hobby Lobby..."Olive green" and "Warm white"...mix some green with a small addition of the white until the color is just perfect.

I also use an artist brush which I cut the bristles short so they are stubby and stiff.  Rather than using brush strokes, I use a dabbing technique with the cut-off brush and blot the brush on a paper towel so it is fairly dry when dabbed on.  I do not try to do the entire area at one go...rather apply some. let it dry, and dab on some more over 2-3 cycles.  The dabbing leaves a texture to the touch up paint, this way.

31-8-2022 10:59:31  #25

I bought a set of acrylic paint tubes recently and it has come in handy. Acrylic is easy to wipe off when it's still wet as I noodle to get the right color mix. I have an Alpine Blue late '50s Sterling coming that may need some touch up. I wasn't looking for one of these but the price was too low to ignore. I gifted one away that was such a great typer it haunted me, so . . . . 
​m

Pete E. wrote:

My last bit of work on the S-C 5TE was some paint touch-ups.

The seafoam green (or cypress green) color took a bit of custom mixing and a bit of trial & error to get it just right.
I used these two flat, acrylic paints I get from Hobby Lobby..."Olive green" and "Warm white"...mix some green with a small addition of the white until the color is just perfect.

I also use an artist brush which I cut the bristles short so they are stubby and stiff.  Rather than using brush strokes, I use a dabbing technique with the cut-off brush and blot the brush on a paper towel so it is fairly dry when dabbed on.  I do not try to do the entire area at one go...rather apply some. let it dry, and dab on some more over 2-3 cycles.  The dabbing leaves a texture to the touch up paint, this way.

- Be kind 

10-9-2022 08:17:59  #26

Finished up the re-paint of the case.  It has lots of small dents and cuts and even 2 penetrating holes of the case bottom.

Inside of the latch was a rust-bucket...but a good overnight soak in PB Blaster tended to all of that.

14-9-2022 10:07:16  #27

Another splash of color for the 5TE...

I had some spare parts left over from a broken Olivetti-Underwood 21 that I parted out.  Red-coloured Tab key-top.

16-9-2022 08:25:50  #28

Final color adjustment to the space-bar...with Krylon's colour of "Lagoon Blue".

Board footera