You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

28-8-2022 08:01:35  #1

Triumph Perfekt De JUR conical frame pins

I purchased a 1966 Triumph Perfekt De JUR, and when I removed the body, two conical pins fell out.  They are threaded and have a screwdriver slot, but they didn't have nuts on them.  I didn't see where they came from, but they fit into two correspondingly shaped holes in the right side of the body that are aligned with two unthreaded holes in the frame.  It looks like they are supposed to be attached to the frame with nuts.  I can't see that they do anything useful other than maybe they help align the body to the frame during assembly.  Maybe the nuts fell off?  Any ideas?  I felt a little silly putting them back in with no apparent function and without nuts, but at least I don't lose them if they are in the machine.

28-8-2022 08:03:25  #2

Re: Triumph Perfekt De JUR conical frame pins

Here's a picture of the pin. 

28-8-2022 08:44:22  #3

Yes, the pins should be attached to the frame with nuts. I think the pins are indeed intended for aligning the body with the frame. Because the body is made from a lightweight metal alloy casting, the pins may also be designed to strengthen the connection between the body and the frame. The Matura standard has the same pins. Without these pins the lightweight body would be attached to the heavy frame with just for screws. No problem when the typewriter is sitting on a desk, but I can imagine it would become a problem when you put the machine on its back.

28-8-2022 11:24:41  #4

Laurenz, thank you.  I'll find a pair of nuts for the pins.  It's a 1957, not a 1966 like I said in the original post. 

14-9-2022 06:58:08  #5

I purchased a Triumph Kwik-Riter last year. As the typewriter and the case both featured the DeJur badging (it was also printed on the machine's dust cover), I did a bit of digging and learned that DeJur was actually the importer that brought the Triumph machines into the States. Though DeJur was associated with office equipment, it seems that they were much better known for producing both film and movie cameras along with photo enlargers and light meters among other things.

14-9-2022 08:17:07  #6

Hi Bill,

Does your older Triumph have a touch-control feature ?

I have a bit newer 1960's Triumph Perfekt from the 1960's and it does not have this feature...even though the Perfekt was their more top-of-the-line offering.

Just curious if the 1950's machines had it and then it was dropped later.

14-9-2022 08:30:43  #7

Pete, I found it was easy enough to change the touch on my Perfekt De Jur with some fiddling.  I don't know what your background or comfort level is with making modifications, so maybe you've already considered this.  I do a lot more monkeying than my knowledge or skill warrants, but I enjoy learning.  I wanted to make the touch lighter, so I made a little link out of a staple and inserted the new link at the top of the universal bar return spring.  The spring attaches under the right ribbon spool.  It was easier to do with the body off the machine. If the link is too long then the ribbon vibrator won't drop all the way because it has a mechanism that works opposite the universal bar.

Unfortunately, the bar that holds all the springs between the key levers and type bars isn't adjustable like it is on some machines.  I plan to add some length to those springs or modify the machine to allow adjustment at some point to see what difference it makes in the feel of the machine.  I really like how it types, but I have a hard time not wanting to modify and adjust things even if I ultimately return to the factory settings. 

Board footera