You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

19-7-2014 21:16:15  #1

Just bought my 1st typewriter. Help with a Remington Standard model 5.

Hi guys.
I just bought this typewriter. It is my first.
I don't have it yet as it's being shipped, but I have a few questions.
The seller didn't list the serial. I am guessing this is an early 1940s model as it is US Army labeled.

What kind of ribbon does this model take? I see some sellers have ribbon with metal ends, some plastic. Does this matter?
As far as cleaning/seriving goes, what should I do?
Is there a manual for this model online? I did some searching but couldn't find anthing.

Also, will this model use regular copy paper or do I need to get special paper?

Thanks so much! Excited to get it.

Last edited by comma (19-7-2014 21:29:37)

19-7-2014 21:56:04  #2

Re: Just bought my 1st typewriter. Help with a Remington Standard model 5.

Wow great find! I think you are right with the 40s. As for the paper, I use normal computer paper on mine. Also, find the serial number. Move the carrage around to see it. There's a website called www.typewriterdatabase.com . That should help you date it.

20-7-2014 00:11:30  #3

guitarmasta12 wrote:

Wow great find! I think you are right with the 40s. As for the paper, I use normal computer paper on mine. Also, find the serial number. Move the carrage around to see it. There's a website called www.typewriterdatabase.com . That should help you date it.

Thanks!
Based on how this looks, does anyone know which ribbon I should get? As you can see in the pic, it looks like it will need a new one and I'd like to order one asap.

Also, does this appear to be complete? Some versions of the model 5 have the exposed ribbon wheels, others have caps that go over. From what I can tell, the 30s and early 40s ones were exposed like this. But I honestly can't find another "Remington Standard model 5" anywhere. They seem to all be remington rands or other variations.

Appreciate any help!

20-7-2014 04:53:20  #4

Hi, there are no caps to go over the ribbon spools. For new ribbon, take any standard ribbon without eyelets (cut them off if it has them) and wind it onto the ribbon spools already on the machine. There should be a small clip on the core of the spool which you will have to very carefully lift up to take off the old ribbon and then trap the end of the new ribbon under. Look carefully at how the ribbon is spooled on, which way the ribbon winds etc before you begin, or you could end up unwinding and redoing it! (I have ended up doping this!) It can be quite fiddly, I use a bamboo kitchen skewer to poke the ribbon under, and the blunt end of a pencil to push the clip back down.
Good luck with your first typewriter, it looks like a nice one.

20-7-2014 09:10:20  #5

malole wrote:

Hi, there are no caps to go over the ribbon spools. For new ribbon, take any standard ribbon without eyelets (cut them off if it has them) and wind it onto the ribbon spools already on the machine. There should be a small clip on the core of the spool which you will have to very carefully lift up to take off the old ribbon and then trap the end of the new ribbon under. Look carefully at how the ribbon is spooled on, which way the ribbon winds etc before you begin, or you could end up unwinding and redoing it! (I have ended up doping this!) It can be quite fiddly, I use a bamboo kitchen skewer to poke the ribbon under, and the blunt end of a pencil to push the clip back down.
Good luck with your first typewriter, it looks like a nice one.

Thanks!
Are the spools on the machine permanent? Are you suggesting to keep them just for authenticity or is it better for the machine for some reason?
In the photos it looks like one is pretty rusted. I'm not sure if I'll have to replace it.
Or could I just buy metal remington spools with ribbon like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Remington-5-Portable-Typewriter-Ribbon-on-Twin-Metal-Spools-/261222619164?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd214d81c

20-7-2014 09:29:25  #6

I would keep the original spools for sure, and some rust remover should clean them up ok. Buying extra metal spools with ribbon is also a good idea, but don't throw out the originals until you've tested the new ones! I bought a pair of new-old stock Remington spools for one of my Remingtons, but I also have another Remington portable with its original spools and they cleaned up very well. If I can, I prefer to keep the original spools on older typewriters, I just think they look nicer, but Remington portables won't take any kind of plastic spool that I know of. You can fit a whole spool worth of new ribbon onto these little Remington spools. Disposable gloves are also useful for changing ribbons.

20-7-2014 16:56:57  #7

The metal spools for early Remington portables are specific to that machine, so they are hard to find. "Universal" spools will not fit. So, if you have the original spools, re-use them, even if you can find a new ribbon with the correct spools. Since these ribbons are somewhat hard to find, they are expensive with the spools, so it's much cheaper to buy a universal ribbon and wind it onto your spools.

Here is a good site about Remington Portables:
http://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/rem-portables.htm

Clark

20-7-2014 17:49:51  #8

ProfessorC30 wrote:

The metal spools for early Remington portables are specific to that machine, so they are hard to find. "Universal" spools will not fit. So, if you have the original spools, re-use them, even if you can find a new ribbon with the correct spools. Since these ribbons are somewhat hard to find, they are expensive with the spools, so it's much cheaper to buy a universal ribbon and wind it onto your spools.

Here is a good site about Remington Portables:
http://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/rem-portables.htm

The link to the ribbons I gave say they are compatible with remington standard model 5s...and they look the same. But should I not trust that?

Can you buy just ribbon? Any ribbon I see for sale comes with spools.
Is all ribbon the same size or is there a specific width I need?

Sorry for the stupid questions.

Last edited by comma (20-7-2014 21:20:16)

21-7-2014 11:09:45  #9

I've not seen just ribbon for sale, but you can buy universal ribbon quite cheap, literally any typewriter ribbon half an inch wide will do the job. I'm using the ribbon from a plastic spool for a Lettera 22 on my Remington spools at the moment - with the eyelets cut off each end. 
Let us know how you get on with the Remington when it arrives.

21-7-2014 23:18:03  #10

Should I get nylon or cloth ribbon? Or does it not matter?

Board footera