You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10-10-2022 04:15:01  #1

Brown Underwood No6

Hi Guys
I've just bought an Underwood No6 - 1936 (checked the serial number against the database), always wanted a typewriter like this :-)

Bought in a brocante (I live in SW France), it was so dark in there that I didn't realise it was brown until I bought it and got it outside - Is this usual, it doesn't look like it was painted by an amature but the feet are black.

I'm amazed everything seems to work except it's stuck in caps, I've tried pressing all the caps keys and no change and the caps lock is very spongy and doesn't really engage - I'm so new at this, does anyone have any advise ?

10-10-2022 13:50:53  #2

Re: Brown Underwood No6

Pages 40-43 out of 73 pages of the attached pdf-file might get you going in the right direction to find out why it seems stuck in Cap Lock...

https://ia800306.us.archive.org/14/items/TM10601/TM-10-601.pdf

10-10-2022 13:57:02  #3

And there is another brown No. 6 in the TWDB galleries...with a "reconditioned" shop sticker on a body panel.  Maybe a repaint in a new colour was offered in the past as part of that work.

https://typewriterdatabase.com/1938-underwood-6.16376.typewriter

10-10-2022 16:34:02  #4

On my monitor it looks grey rather than brown; grey was a typical colour for factory refurbished/reconditioned Underwood models.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-10-2022 10:33:57  #5

Sorry I can't work out how to reply to comments individually, thank you very much for taking the time to reply to me.
Pete E - Thanks very much for the pdf link, I'll have a look through this, it would be great to get it working completely..  Also thanks for the link to the photo, I haven't seen a reconditioned sticker but the colour looks very similar.  Must admit I prefer the black
Thanks again
Karen
Ewe - It's a sort of mocha brown, maybe it will grow on me :-)

Board footera