You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11-10-2022 09:33:56  #1

dating this Lettera 22

Just acquired a Lettera 22, Ivrea, round key tops, non-embossed "Olivetti" logo, clip-on flap case, serial # 440912. Blue body but brown paper table, suggesting a repaint right? But a really good one. can't see any original brown on the rest of it...maybe a shop just swapped out the cowling at some point.

Anyway, how to date this? According to the serial number database, I think round key tops would put it in the first year of production ("up to 904000"). Or 1954 according to the "alternate and possible erroneous from OMEF" data listed there ("up to 626232"). But wouldn't a mid-fifties machine have square key tops? The "Year by Serial Number" photos page seems to have round tops 54-56 that are close to this number...

I guess I am wondering when they left the round for the square key tops, like the 32 has. If that is the deciding factor.

Pics when I can post them. It is a bit mildewy but still functional, original drawband even, just needs a clean up -- pretty excited.

Appreciate your help!
Thanks!

11-10-2022 10:23:55  #2

Re: dating this Lettera 22

I wouldn't assume a repaint since both colours are correct for the model; it's possible that either the paper table or the shell was replaced at some point using a parts machine - or what a repair shop might have had available at the time.  

All of my mid-'50s Olivetti models have round keys. I don't know when the transition to square keys was made, but I'd guess circa '59-'61. Where the Lettera was manufactured might have something to do with the key shape during that transition period. Keep in mind that if you see older 22s with square keys, it doesn't mean they're original: keytops do wear - particularly when someone with long fingernails is using them - and keytop replacements were required.

The pronoun has always been capitalized in the English language for more than 700 years.

11-10-2022 14:10:24  #3

Thanks Uwe. That makes sense! Now trying to figure out how to get in and clean the escapement wheel -- original drawband pulls great but it slows hard at the middle and is sluggish thereafter, which I understand is usually escapement wheel. THis is my second L22; I got too vigorous with cleaning my last and lost a couple springs and then tried to replace the drawband and, well, my reach exceeded my grasp. Try try again!

11-10-2022 14:36:57  #4

lazydog wrote:

... Blue body but brown paper table, suggesting a repaint right? But a really good one.

ozTypewriter about the color difference between the body and the paper table: 

"This will explain why Olivetti mechanics, when offering to repaint machines while servicing Lettera 22s, only ever repainted the mask and ribbon spools cover, never the paper plate. So often one will see a pistachio green Lettera 22, repainted from the original taupe, but still with a taupe-coloured paper plate." 

https://oztypewriter.blogspot.com/2014/08/removing-paper-plate-when-repainting.html?m=1

11-10-2022 15:05:41  #5

I remembered reading that somewhere -- of course, the estimable Oz Typewriter!

Annnd all is for naught because today I typed more on this poor thing than it has probably experienced in the last forty years and the drawband slipped off and the spring unwound, so there is no getting around it: I have to get it back on. It is so hard! I think I have found all the great online tutorials, like OzTypewriter of course:
https://oztypewriter.blogspot.com/2013/11/reattaching-drawband-to-mainspring-on.html
and maryech:
https://myoldtypewriter.com/2015/03/12/broken-drawband-repair-on-a-1948-remington-rand-kmc-using-fishing-line/
But I just can't seem to do this apparently simple repair. And the drawband is still attached, mind you -- not even broken. (Though it probably will soon.) I just seem to be missing the knack.

Board footera