You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

15-10-2022 15:31:00  #1

Olympia Traveller de Luxe moving kind of choppy

Hi everyone,

You've all been very helpful in the past. I don't know much about typewriter repair / maintenance, and am pretty fuzzy on what to call all the parts and stuff. 

But I have an Olympia Traveller de Luxe that I love, and recently when I've pushed the carriage to the right, as one does when writing on typewriters, it feels like there's more resistance than their should be, like maybe some of the little bits in there are getting caught. I picture them as little interlocking teeth, because I think that's what I've seen on my Olivetti Lettera 32. And I picked up a run-down OL22 once where some of the teeth were clearly broken, and I don't want that to happen.

My question is, is this an issue that means I should take it in for repairs? Do I just need to put a little oil on those teeth, or on other parts? I just don't want to break this thing; I like it and they're expensive.

I appreciate it!!!!

Rob

15-10-2022 16:01:23  #2

Re: Olympia Traveller de Luxe moving kind of choppy

Hi Rob,

Has it been cleaned lately ?  If not,  you might just need to deep clean the carriage rails, the margin rack, and everything related to the escapement mechanism.

That is where I would start.  Before looking for anything else.

15-10-2022 18:00:23  #3

I have not! I will do that. Thank you. I'll use mineral spirits unless you suggest otherwise. 

15-10-2022 19:41:16  #4

I tired mineral spirits a few years back when I starting cleaning and servicing my own machines.  I was not impressed.

Denatured alcohol is much better at dissolving oil grease/oil that has solidified with age; in my experience.  I have never had a paint or plastic damage issue with denatured alcohol.

For really stubborn cases where the solidified "wax" is almost rock hard, I will use a few drops of lacquer thinner...being careful to protect any paint or plastic with rag covers so they are not exposed to the lacquer thinner.

Board footera