You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

20-10-2022 02:08:19  #1

Triumph Tippa 1960s ribbon vibrator not lifting high enough

Hello!

Not sure if anyone feels the same .. there seems to be problem/s with every Tippa that I acquired .. which is very odd.

This time, I've got a nice beige cream color late 60s Triumph Tippa which is a carriage shift machine. All is good except that the Black uppercase top half is not getting printed.
If I lift the ribbon vibrator slightly higher by hand, then it will be printed. While in Red, the uppercase top half becomes black print.

Is there any adjustment to make the ribbon vibrator go higher?
As far as i can see and feel while pushing it higher, i don't feel anything blocking the vibrator to move upwards further.

Would poor ribbon drive cause this? Ribbon tension seems fine too.

Appreciate any ideas or suggestions .. thank you!

20-10-2022 13:54:04  #2

Re: Triumph Tippa 1960s ribbon vibrator not lifting high enough

I have a machine made in 1964 and it does not have such problems,

If mine did, I would start my trouble-shooting with removing the ribbon & spools from the machine and see if the ribbon vibrator travel is normal.  You can put a little black ink on a type-slug to see where it hits the paper without the ribbon on the machine.

21-10-2022 02:05:22  #3

Thank you for the tips to apply a little black ink on type-slug I like this idea to start looking .. 
Cheers!

22-10-2022 04:32:53  #4

ttt_21 wrote:

Not sure if anyone feels the same .. there seems to be problem/s with every Tippa that I acquired .. which is very odd.

Yes, that is my experience too. Most Tippa's had problems when I acquired them. However, once fixed, they work fine.
See also my post about this subject here: https://typewriter.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?pid=26285#p26285

ttt_21 wrote:

Is there any adjustment to make the ribbon vibrator go higher?

1) Make sure you have installed a 13 mm ribbon.

2a) Check if the ribbon drive runs freely without the spools installed.

2b) Check if the ribbon spools run freely (I've had a case in which one of the spools rubbed against the body).

3) It is possible to adjust the position of the ribbon drives. This will change the position and tension of the ribbon. To do so, remove the body and loosen the 2 screws that hold each ribbon drive (the screws are on the side of the frame). Now you can tilt, raise or lower the drives.
Tip: make a photo or mark the position of the ribbon drives before you loosen the screws. In case the adjustment doesn't have the desired effect, you can go back to how it was.

4) If the above doesn't help, the problem can be fixed by shortening the ribbon vibrator drive shaft (see picture below). You need to remove the shaft from the typewriter and bend it a tiny bit in order to shorten it. In my case the required bending was very little and fixed the problem once and forever.

Lau

22-10-2022 10:09:36  #5

Many thanks for reply and for sure there is consistency in our opinions about the Tippas!
Your reply open up many more avenues for me try and to keep me busy the next few days (nights really)

Board footera