You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

07-11-2022 02:48:16  #1

Smith Corona Silent, shift lock problem

I have a problem with the Shift Lock on my Smith Corona Silent (1945). When engaged the capitals print higher than when using the Shift key. It seems that when engaging the Shift Lock and removing my finger from it, the whole Left Shift moves back (up) by a mm or two. How can I fix that?

Rock hard, ride free!

07-11-2022 10:31:41  #2

Re: Smith Corona Silent, shift lock problem

Maybe this video by Duane Jensen of Phoenix Typewriters might give you some ideas for where to look...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3_QV1-_Rs0

07-11-2022 14:41:51  #3

I found something relevant to another awesome video of Duane in youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ut6qkhbZrgc
In that video, you bend the Shift Lock Latch forward/backward to adjust the ease of release of the Shift Lock.
Then it crossed my mind I could do something like that, bending it downward to make the shift lock catch engage it a bit lower, close where the shift key bottoms out. With two small bends, I brought it exactly where it should had been.
Now all sing the same song. Left, Right and Shift Lock write exactly at the same line.
A big thank you!

Rock hard, ride free!

07-11-2022 16:24:49  #4

If folks get help from Duane's videos and are so inclined...he has a "tip jar" feature at the bottom of each video clip.  I am sure tips are appreciated. 

Duane is such an asset to the Typewriter community.

07-11-2022 23:04:12  #5

Pete E. wrote:

If folks get help from Duane's videos and are so inclined...he has a "tip jar" feature at the bottom of each video clip.  I am sure tips are appreciated. 

Duane is such an asset to the Typewriter community.

Absolutely! It is the least I can do for his advice made many of my machines happy!

Rock hard, ride free!

09-11-2022 04:36:00  #6

I just noticed that the donation icon is missing through all of his videos. Am I missing something here? I would like to treat the man a beer for what I have been offered abundantly through his videos.

Rock hard, ride free!

10-11-2022 07:53:13  #7

I use a desktop PC and see this...

10-11-2022 08:38:16  #8

Stupid me, I've been looking for that dollar youtube icon.

Rock hard, ride free!

Board footera