You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

25-11-2022 15:13:04  #11

Re: A Typer Of A Different Sort...

I think in the early days of Dymo, their hand embosser (called the Dymo-Mite) looked like this.

Fast forward to 2022, and their special embosser for metallic tape (called the Dymo Rhino M1011) looks some what familiar.

I love it when "vintage" comes back into fashion !

27-11-2022 23:47:02  #12

I took another look at my M-5: I am able to feed 3/8" tape in it, but the cartridge for the tape is a little over 9/16" and the cavity in the handle is 1/2". Looking at it and photos of others online, it looks like it takes cartridges like the ones in the box in the center of Jim's photo (same box as the Mark VI). They have little plastic tabs to fit into the little holes on the handle...

Looks, too, like this one doesn't make the tab. The cutter is actuated by a separate lever that just brings a single, guillotine-like blade up the front. It doesn't seem to do much else. The type wheel doesn't have a cutter stop; it just has stops for A-Z, 2-9, and period. (I remember now my dad's dymo having the cut stop that you mention, Pete).

Maybe I should find a little more recent and mainstream dymo...

27-11-2022 23:54:54  #13

Interesting history repeating itself. I almost got a Dymo-mite instead of the M-5. 

Love that metallic tape, though.

28-11-2022 08:55:55  #14

Rob, they even had a M-29 version.  I will send you some info. via PM...

28-11-2022 13:00:42  #15

Rob,

I see that the 12 mm wide (~ 1/2" wide) aluminum tape comes in an adhesive variety as well as a non-adhesive variety.  I would bet that would work on a tool that accepts 1/2" and 3/8" wide tapes.  That aluminum tape is probably as soft as the vinyl tape...might be worth a try.

If I locate a roll, I will give it a try and let you know.

29-11-2022 15:32:29  #16

Having a bit of a machine case "fetish"...I thought I could improve the look of the case label for my Dymo Model 1570 label maker,,,

Found a jpeg on-line, resized it in photo-software, and printed it out on photo-quality paper on my printer.  Then sandwiched it in between some Avery laminating sheets, trimmed, and glued in place.

29-11-2022 15:39:33  #17

And here are some photos of the Dymo Model M-29 with all the goodies.

Up to now, I have contained myself and not picked one up.

This one is mostly all-metal and it has a screw-on attachment to cut rounded ends  on both ends of an embossed plastic label.  And a nice case.

30-11-2022 03:08:03  #18

Pete E. wrote:

Rob,

I see that the 12 mm wide (~ 1/2" wide) aluminum tape comes in an adhesive variety as well as a non-adhesive variety.  I would bet that would work on a tool that accepts 1/2" and 3/8" wide tapes.  That aluminum tape is probably as soft as the vinyl tape...might be worth a try.

If I locate a roll, I will give it a try and let you know.

I remember seeing aluminum tape being sold along side the vinyl tape for a period of time in the late '70s.  I think I even tried a roll or two, but liked the contrast of the vinyl better.  The aluminum stuff didn't seem to be available for very long - maybe a year or two.  I can only go by what was available locally, though - after all, it was pre-Internet...

30-11-2022 12:05:15  #19

Jim,

I think you have an excellent point about the aluminum embossing tape.  It may not have a lot of contrast to make the letting/numbering stand out.

Dymo (on their web site) does seem to offer it...both in a non-adhesive and an adhesive option.

30-11-2022 12:44:40  #20

Pete E. wrote:

Jim,

I think you have an excellent point about the aluminum embossing tape.  It may not have a lot of contrast to make the letting/numbering stand out.

Dymo (on their web site) does seem to offer it...both in a non-adhesive and an adhesive option.

Oh, I'm sure the aluminum tape is available.  I only meant to say that it was, for a short time, available even in department stores back in the '70s.  I'm guessing it had too much of a niche market to occupy the shelves for very long.  I don't remember if there were adhesive/non-adhesive variants back then - in any case, it's just a curious footnote of history...

Board footera