You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

29-11-2022 21:18:55  #1

Olympia SG-1 Draw Band

Greetings All

Yes, it's been a while since I posted here, it's been a year of things going off the rails. However, now that I'm here, I just acquired a 1961 Olympia SG-1 (frame 7-720955, Carriage 8-731850) missing its draw band and of course the plastic paper support. I also have a couple of SG-3's which both have their paper support. My question is: Does the SG-1 use the same draw band ends to connect to the mainspring drum and the carriage anchor point as the SG-3?

Also, does the SG-1 and SG-3 use the same paper support? If so, has anyone tried making an epoxy mold from the two parts of an intact SG-3 support and clear resin casting a duplicate support for an SG-1? All the best,

Sky

We humans go through many computers in our lives, but in their lives, typewriters go through many of us.
In that way, they’re like violins, like ancestral swords. So I use mine with honor and treat them with respect.
I try to leave them in better condition than I met them. I am not their first user, nor will I be their last.
Frederic S. Durbin. (Typewriter mania and the modern writer)

30-11-2022 05:44:45  #2

Re: Olympia SG-1 Draw Band

Dear Sky,
               Yes, and Yes in answer to your questions !  The drawband ends are the same for the Olympia SG1 and SG3, and the paper support is also the same item.  The SG1/SG3 paper support is also the same on the SGE50 electric.

30-11-2022 11:44:45  #3

I like the idea of creating a mold / casting of a paper support. Or, if we can get exact dimensions, 3D print one (printing completely clear, transparent plastic is hard, but a support in the same green as the tab bar (SG-3) or keys (SG-1) could be cool).

(both my SG-1 and SG-3 are lacking the support).

30-11-2022 18:28:09  #4

There is a fellow on the Olympia SG1 Group on Facebook.  He custom made a support to match the custom paint he did on his machine.

Folks asked if he makes them for sale...not at the time but he said if he did he would let folks know.  But that was well over a year ago.

Here is the one photo he posted up of his support.

This was his write-up on how he made the support :

"  The paper rest is 3d printed in two parts. The vertical slide has a cut down 6 inch ruler embedded to measure end of page. For the pins, I used 5mm screws with a thin brass tube cut to cover the threads. The pins are large than stock, but work fine.  "

30-11-2022 18:37:07  #5

Oh...and he indicated his repaint was... "  Rust-oleum Verde Green Hammered ".

30-11-2022 20:31:38  #6

That is just one very fine looking Olympia!

01-12-2022 10:28:43  #7

That is fantastic! He did a really nice job matching the textured feel. It looks better than the original on this machine.

I wonder if he'd be willing to share the 3D files (.stl, or whatever) so those with 3D printers can give it a try.

01-12-2022 14:37:15  #8

Rob,

I am not sure if he is in that Group anymore.

I saved that photo about 1 year ago to my PC. 

Search for his name in the Group brings up no results...as if he left the Group.

01-12-2022 14:41:03  #9

Rob, it is possible he just sprayed over the original textured paint job.

I have played around with the "Hammered" paint cans from Rust-Oleum.  It does not really give much of a raised/textured finish unless you use pieces of natural sponge to "dab" the paint while it is still wet and setting up.

01-12-2022 16:49:20  #10

Bummer. Still, I'm inspired. This TWDB entry has a few photos of the stock support taken close enough to straight-on that I could start building a model for it. 

Board footera