You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

18-12-2022 20:14:41  #11

Re: 1976 Baby Hermes: update: question on ribbon direction lever. . where?

Okay.
There's something very humbling about trying to fix something that didn't need fixing but was due to "operator error".

I did the procedure with the rivet and the key presses and, like magic, the ribbon direction reversed.
I didn't know that typewriters had this feature, but do now.

Why the "rubber baby bumper" manual ribbon reverse doesn't work, I don't know. But, it doesn't matter.

I did learn a whole lot in my very first attempt at getting into the mysteries of "typewriter innards" from a "Master".

Huge thanks again for you kind help.
Have a Happy Holidays and New Year.
jim

19-12-2022 07:50:16  #12

Pete E. wrote:

Hi Kalani / Jim , Let's go back to the issue of whether your existing ribbon has metal eyelets on each of the ribbon or not. The two “ribbon guides” (circled in green in the photo, below) need the metal eyelet at the near end of the ribbon to trigger the ribbon guide to move towards the center of the machine. Once the ribbon guide has moved and is held there by the tension against the ribbon, the next strike of a type-slug on the platen will result in a reversal of the ribbon movement direction. Assuming your ribbon does not have eyelets, you can still figure out if it works… Note which spool and the ribbon direction is presently moving to. Then at the ribbon guide on the opposite side, hold the ribbon guide with a finger and keep it held in place while you press any key-top.  With the strike of that key-top, release that ribbon guide by removing your finger. Now when you type a few letters, you should observe that the ribbon has reversed direction but with the help of your finger on the ribbon guide. If this happens and the reversal has taken place, then the only thing missing are the ribbon metal eyelets...one on each end of the ribbon. Let us know what you find with this experiment...

p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120% }

Aloha,
Wow. Cleaning the bottom of the spindle linkages and pivot points on the cross links as well did the trick. The test went well and the ribbon now "auto reverses" on its own when the "rivet" on the ribbon moves the ribbon guide.
The manual lever with the rubber damper still doesn't reverse the ribbon but at this point that doesn't matter.
Success!!!!
Huge thanks for your kind expert help.

This was my first learning experience really getting into the innards of a typewriter. What a learning curve.
jim

19-12-2022 08:33:17  #13

Jim,

Glad you got through it.  Many new-comers get frustrated and give up and never think about a typewriter, again.

There are some real seasoned and expert folks here on the Forum with decades of experience.

I am not one of them.  Got by first machine just 4 or so years ago...after switching to computers back in the 1980's.

Due to the fact that there are no typewriter shops within hundreds of miles from my home in Idaho, I went the DIY route.  Out of 50 machines in my collection, I have done the cleaning, servicing, and repair myself on all of them except one.  That one was shipped out-of-state as it needed help I cold not give it (i.e. escapement gear replacement).

I also have self-taught how to fix up and refinish cases and even do a good job with machine paint touch-ups after lots of trial & error.

There is a fellow named Duane Jensen from Phoenix Typewriters in Arizona State that has posted up nearly hundreds of typewriter video on YouTube on all sorts of makes/models.

His videos are worth watching, even if you do not happen to own that particular machine.  They are educational and you get lots of basics and understanding of mechanisms that may be common to many brands and models.

His You Tube channel is at this link.  I have spent many hours watching and re-watching almost off of his videos over the past 1-2 years.

https://www.youtube.com/@phoenixtypewriter2136/videos

Board footera