You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

31-12-2022 01:28:58  #1

Smith-Corona Skyriter - vertical drift?

Hi everyone,

I have a 1954 Skyriter that had a couple of sticky keys, so I cleaned it (again) tonight.  There's a strange issue that I haven't been able to figure out.  After using the carriage return, the first three letters typed go progressively lower on the paper, and then the line settles out and the rest of the characters are in alignment.  I have set the left margin in various places, and it doesn't make a difference where (on the platen) I start typing - near the left edge or toward the center - it's always the first 3 characters that are misaligned vertically.  It's as if the platen is drifting upwards (or the basket is drifting downwards?), but I can't perceive it visually.  And it only happens immediately after using the carriage return lever.  Everything in the ratchet area has been cleaned as well - nothing appears to be binding.  Note also that this is not a new problem - it's just that I wanted to try and correct it while I had the thing apart.  Any ideas?

31-12-2022 01:46:39  #2

Re: Smith-Corona Skyriter - vertical drift?

I have one machine (I forget which) that the line advance pawl wouldn't quite go far enough, so after using the carriage return lever, the detent wasn't quite settled into the next position on the platen ratchet, and the vibration of the first few keystrokes would nudge it into place. I found I could also use the carriage return and thump the side of the machine to settle it as well. I wonder if your skyriter is behaving similarly.

31-12-2022 01:58:07  #3

robmck wrote:

I have one machine (I forget which) that the line advance pawl wouldn't quite go far enough, so after using the carriage return lever, the detent wasn't quite settled into the next position on the platen ratchet, and the vibration of the first few keystrokes would nudge it into place. I found I could also use the carriage return and thump the side of the machine to settle it as well. I wonder if your skyriter is behaving similarly.

Thanks, Rob.  I did notice that the pawl was just barely catching the teeth on the cog wheel.  I also noticed that the platen knob on the left side was about 1/8" out from the bracket that it was supposed to be seated in, causing a little bit of lateral play in the platen.  So, I loosened the set screws in both platen knobs and shifted the platen left about 1/8", then tightened the knobs again.  That did it!  All is well now.  No more drifting, no more play in the platen.  Thanks for the clue!

31-12-2022 19:08:31  #4

Yay! Glad it's working!

Board footera