You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

04-1-2023 21:44:51  #1

Smith Corona Electra 120 letter "q" stuck on chattering "wack a mole".

Aloha,
I have a Smith Corona Electra 120 that has been working reliably for the past 2 years.
Recently, in the middle of typing, the letter "q" is stuck on a rapid oscillation from not quite striking the paper to rebounding about an inch before complete return back to the slug base? (right term?). It moves back and forth rapidly and doesn't stop unless I turn off the switch. When I turn the typewriter back on, it continues doing it.
The carriage sometimes advances rapidly but sometimes just stays in one place.

I'm still new to this.
Where do I look for anything broken or what?
Thanks for your help.
jim

05-1-2023 02:46:51  #2

Re: Smith Corona Electra 120 letter "q" stuck on chattering "wack a mole".

Hmm...

It seems to me, if spring "H" in the diagram below were disconnected or broken, it could cause this behavior.  Note that I haven't actually taken mine apart yet to test this - just a theory.

05-1-2023 11:46:52  #3

OregonJim wrote:

Hmm...

It seems to me, if spring "H" in the diagram below were disconnected or broken, it could cause this behavior.  Note that I haven't actually taken mine apart yet to test this - just a theory.

Aloha Jim,
Huge thanks. I will have to find where on the typewriter is this diagram.
I think it might be next to the "muffler bearing" and I'll need a "metric screwdriver" to get at it.

Newbie!
thanks again
jimmy

05-1-2023 11:54:31  #4

Kalani,

I would start with cleaning its entire linkage-train for that G type-slug with some lacquer thinner and compressed air.

You would need to remove the metal sliding ribbon cover and the plastic crumb guard for the key-board.  (Duane Jensen of Phoenix Typewriters on YouTube has a couple of videos showing how to do that.)

At the same time, you could also look for a possible missing spring that OregonJim mentions.

Also remove the metal cover plate on the bottom.  Remove 2 screws and the cover will lift up and off.

05-1-2023 12:58:54  #5

cleaned linkages and "channels", okay from this point all the way to the type slug arm but hangs up and is resistant from this cog thing. I cleaned it and lubed with clp but still, something farther beyond. The "Q" gets stuck and chatters and wont' return.
You can see in this picture how this cog plate thingy with the tiny spring isn't at rest like the others in line.

huge thanks for your help, still not working right, machine is otherwise clean and serviced and seems pristine.
only happening with this one letter, the rest are fine.
what next?

05-1-2023 13:09:24  #6

Can you gently push that cog so it returns to the same position as the others ? 

If you can but it is stiff, there still might be some corrosion, rust, gunk in some of the pivot points.

05-1-2023 13:10:18  #7

Hi Jimmy,

The spring should be fairly easy to find.  After taking off the bottom cover (2 screws as Pete says), you'll see a row of 44 of them (more or less).  They'll be the ones right above the long, toothed drive shaft when looking at the bottom of the typewriter.  The one in question will be in close proximity to the "Q" key.

If nothing in that area looks obviously different from all the other keys, I would go ahead with a cleaning as Pete suggested.  Just be careful of painted surfaces with the lacquer thinner.

05-1-2023 13:12:39  #8

OregonJim wrote:

Hi Jimmy,

The spring should be fairly easy to find.  After taking off the bottom cover (2 screws as Pete says), you'll see a row of 44 of them (more or less).  They'll be the ones right above the long, toothed drive shaft when looking at the bottom of the typewriter.  The one in question will be in close proximity to the "Q" key.

If nothing in that area looks obviously different from all the other keys, I would go ahead with a cleaning as Pete suggested.  Just be careful of painted surfaces with the lacquer thinner.

Oops, missed the post above.  Please disregard - you already found it.

05-1-2023 14:06:46  #9

Success!!!
You guys are awesome!!!

huge thanks!!
first typewriter fix. . . will there be more?

k

05-1-2023 14:41:09  #10

Great!  So glad you got it working!

Board footera